New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 5 cu ft freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
JohnK93
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 5 cu ft freezer

Hey all,
I found a local sale of a Holiday 5 cubic foot freezer for $100 that I was thinking of picking up to use as a fermenting chamber. I'm doing a Kolsch next, and wanted to do an Octoberfest lager in time for September too, but don't really have the means now. I have an extra fridge/freezer, but I can't sacrifice the freezer to use the fridge as a fermenting chamber.

Anyway, does this sound like a good buy? I'm not kegging, so it'll be used only for fermenting (for now), and I would also get a temp controller and heat lamp (or heat wrap). Is this a good size? Seems like some people go for the bigger ones, but a lot use this size too. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
ImperialStout
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That's the size I use. Have two of them set up with STC-1000 controllers, $20 on Amazon. If it is new that is an OK price. I paid $20 and $60 for the two I have. Just make sure your carboy or fermenting bucket with air lock or blow off tube fits in with the door closed. Had to remove the drip tray from under the freezer on both and remove the bars that keep the food on the door shelves. On one fridge I had to remove the entire molded shelf assembly on the front door. Also had to cut a 2 x 10 to fit under the carboy. This allowed the carboy to sit back just enough to let the door fully close.

I have done two of these. if you like, send me a PM and I explain further.

"Ask not what your country can brew for you ; ask what you can brew for your country."

"ich braute dieses Bier mit meinem Hund" (Life is indeed short: Get a Beagle and a Beer

Old 04-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
JohnK93
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

It sounds like you're describing an upright freezer? I was looking at a chest freezer...should have been more clear. I'm gonna look into that controller though.

Thanks,
John

JK Brewing
Secondary: Kalinoberfest II
Bottled: Ordinary Bitter, Dry Stout
On Deck: Pale Ale, Saison

Old 04-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
JohnK93
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

ImperialStout,
I looked into that controller on Amazon. At first glance it looks like a great heating/cooling solution.

I'm just wondering why all the homebrew sites sell (and everyone talks about) the Johnson A419 instead of something like this? Even on the forums I've yet to come across this.

Thanks,
John

Old 04-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
natewv
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK93 View Post
ImperialStout,
I looked into that controller on Amazon. At first glance it looks like a great heating/cooling solution.

I'm just wondering why all the homebrew sites sell (and everyone talks about) the Johnson A419 instead of something like this? Even on the forums I've yet to come across this.

Thanks,
John
You aren't looking hard enough. There are dozens of threads on HBT about the STC-1000, just search I'm too lazy at the moment to link any. I bought one and wired it up, way more frugal and fun than buying a Johnson or other.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
JohnK93
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

You're right...since posting my last note, I did a search for STC-1000 and got a ton of info. I've come across the A419 a bunch (and it's on all the major homebrew supply sites), but never this one. Thanks for bringing it up...I think I'm gonna go for it!

Thanks,
John

Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
isleofman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 295

I just built my STC-1000 and am using it with a 5 cuft chest freezer. So far, it has been great.

I used these:

www.homebrewtalk.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=5065314

Oh I have found that a small space heater has been way too much heat in such a small space. I ended up ordering http://www.reptilebasics.com/12-heat-tape to handle the heating.

A watched pot never boils. An unwatched pot always boils over.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
JohnK93
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

That looks great. I just bought one of those project boxes for a stir plate...I'm gonna have to start buying them by the case.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Another big thumbs up for the STC I mounted mine in a cigar box with low profile electrical boxes

image-3835250297.jpg

image-784178082.jpg

Old 04-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
JohnK93
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Classy! Mine's gonna be a ball of electrical tape with a bunch of wires sticking out of it.

Quick Reply