*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 4 month old slurry

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
redalert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 4 month old slurry

Hey guys I have about 3/4 cup of slurry in a jar with some beer that's been in my fridge that's been there for like 4 months and was thinking of using it for my next batch. It looks healthy looking at it. What do you think? Would you use it for your next batch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Bobby M recently did a test on year old stored yeast here; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/test...bility-126707/

And my LHBS cells outdated tubes and packs of yeast dirt cheap 2-3 dollars each and I usually grab a couple tubes of belgian or other interesting yeast when I am there and shove it in my fridge. and I have never had a problem with one of those tubes.

I usually make a starter but I once pitched a year old tube of Belgian High Gravity yeast directly into a 2.5 gallon batch of a Belgian Dark Strong, and after about 4 days it took off beautifully.

Same with jarred yeast.

With any stored, old yeast you just need first to apply the "sniff test" if it smell bad, especially if it smells like week old gorilla poop in a diaper left on the side of the road in the heat of summer.

Then make a starter, and if it takes off you are fine. The purpose of a starter is to reproduce any viable cells in a batch of yeast....that;s how we can grow a starter form the dregs in a bottle of beer incrementally...and that beer may be months old.

Even if you have a few still living cells, you can grow them....That's how we can harvest a huge starter (incrementally) from the dregs in a bottle of some commercial beers. You take those few living cells and grow them into more.

If yeast can be grown from a tiny amount that has been encased in amber for 45 million years, 45 million year old yeast ferments amber ale we really don't need to sweat too much about yeast viability....

we just need to think in terms of making starters. Viability isn't really an issue if you are reproducing a lot of healthy cells. Which is what you are doing when you make a starter.....
Really even with "old yeast" if there is a few cells, they will reproduce.

There's nothing wrong with using old yeast at all...and as for cheap, even dry yeast has gone up in price this year. I used to by US-05 for $1.89 as far back as a year ago, now it is over three bucks.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
duskb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been able to take yeast out of old jars (6 mos +) and get fermentation every time. I used to just drop it straight into the bucket and wait. Now I do everything via a starter in a PET bottle first just so I can be sure the yeast hasn't picked up any "oddness" before pitching into a fresh batch.

----
Dusk Bennett
Audio Engineer
Los Angeles CA
www.duskbennett.com

Old 05-22-2010, 06:42 AM   #4
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I recently pitched a starter of 1056 that I washed in January. It took off quickly in the starter and just as quickly in the carboy.

Quick Reply