Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 4 day old Wheat beer on tap! - without lots of yeast!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #31
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

What kind of yeast did you use? The reason I'm asking is that I did my first and only wheat about 7 weeks ago, and without anything other than a Pail Ale bucket and bottles, got a beautiful clear wheat in 10 days.
We used a typical 60/40 mix of 2-row and wheat, along with rice hulls. .5 oz of Halletauer at 60 and at 5 minutes. Wyeast 1010 American Wheat ale. When I bottled it after two weeks in the primary, I thought it was going to be a failure, because it was SO cloudy, but I had already got everything going. After 10 days, I looked at one, and it was about like you expect for a wheat. Within a few more days, if you poured it carefully, practically no haze. Clear beer. The last one was consumed on the 15th. I never really was a big fan of wheat beers, but I sure am now. This weekend, I'm going to do another one with captured SN Kellerwies yeast. This time, though, it will sit in the primary three to four weeks.

Reason: fixed run-on sentence.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #32
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
What do you think about one of these bags for a filter, say the 5 micron one (I think yeast cells are roughly 5-10 microns).

http://www.filtersfast.com/Bag-Filters-cat.asp
Hmmmmm, No. probably not. I'd be afraid you'd lose too much beer. You want to keep the volume as small as possible, but allow room for the yeast to grow. I'd be afraid with a filter like those, you'll end up with a bunch of liquid inside, and then with all of the yeast in there, when you lift it up, it will take forever to drain.

With the membrane I'm using water movement (net) is very slow.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 06-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #33
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starderup View Post
What kind of yeast did you use? The reason I'm asking is that I did my first and only wheat about 7 weeks ago, and without anything other than a Pail Ale bucket and bottles, got a beautiful clear wheat in 10 days.
We used a typical 60/40 mix of 2-row and wheat, along with rice hulls. .5 oz of Halletauer at 60 and at 5 minutes. Wyeast 1010 American Wheat ale.
I used Safale 05, going American style. I believe American wheat yeast are more flocculant than their European counterparts. I like my wheat beers to taste more of wheat, than of yeast. I find many commercial wheat beers (European and American) to be just the opposite

One of my favorite wheat beers of all time was from the original Frankenmuth brewery in the late '80s - early 90's (now closed). They had a filtered wheat (kristal) that was oh so refreshing.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #34
Rushis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
I've got it set up again. Brewed it on Sunday and will serve it at the pig roast on Sat. OG = 1.030. This time I've got 5 gal. in a keg. 5 psi relief valve in place. I also have an extra 2 gal. in a 3 gal glass carboy so I can watch - plus no pressure to worry about. I'll post some pictures of the carboy once things get going. The 3 gal batch is going to be fermented in a typical fermentation schedule, not a fast one.
How much yeast are you loading the dialysis tubing with?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #35
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

The first version I used a whole packet of dry yeast for just under 2 gal. I was looking for speed in this case.

For the current 5 gal. one I made a 500 ml starter and decanted most of the liquid.

For the current 2 gal. one, I had hoped to simply lift the tube out and put it in fresh wort. Since my tube burst, I quick set up another tubing and put it on a funnel, like a condom with a large reservoir tip, and then held the 3 gal keg over it and waited for the sludge to drain in. I probably put more yeast in this, than in for the 5 gal. batch - of course the yeast in the starter were primed ready to go and hadn't been sitting in my fridge for a week like the stuff in the keg.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:06 AM   #36
Rushis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any volume estimates of a thick slurry? I am curious as to how much yeast the dialysis tubing can actually handle before bursting.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #37
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushis View Post
Any volume estimates of a thick slurry? I am curious as to how much yeast the dialysis tubing can actually handle before bursting.
I allowed plenty of room for yeast expansion in the tubing. I set up about 2.5 ft of tubing. I added probably 75 ml of sludge to the tubing. One thing that I can see now, is I should have added some extra liquid (or a weight) to the tubing to help weigh it down a bit. Right now it is mostly sitting on the surface, and slowly the tube is filling with gas. I suspect this is not happening as much with the version under 5 psi pressure (and had more liquid at set up).

Old 06-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #38
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Update on the current batches.

Well neither of the two batches are fermenting as fast as the first one - and I think I know why - not enough liquid in the tubing.

With the batch going in the 3 gal carboy, I can see that quite a bit of CO2 has built up and because I just put a thick slurry in the tubing, it is mostly floating on the surface. I was assuming the same was going on in the 5 gal carboy as I used a starter with a bunch of the liquid decanted off.

So, I went home for Lunch today and brought some sterile water with me. I opened up the keg, and this one wasn't floating quite as bad, partly because it was wrapped around the dip tube. I put some gloves on, and pulled the tubing out. LOTS of air, not much liquid, and some big gloppy clumps of yeast - not so good for fermentation. I cut an end off and using a funnel, filled the tubing about 2/3 full with the water. I retied it, sloshed it back and forth in the tubing to mix the yeast up and put it back in. It sank nicely in the beer. I suspect it will take off now - It had better, I plan to tap this in 2 more days.

Another thing I noticed is that it appears as though a little bit of yeast can make it out through the knots. I tied 3 knots at each end. At one end, the tubing between the knots was full of gas, and I could see some yeast growing on the tubing, PAST all of the knots. I suspect enough pressure is building up to push some yeast through the knots????? It wasn't much, but it was some

Old 06-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #39
bsdx

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This might be an interesting way to use multiple yeast strains in one beer, you could switch the tubes out during fermentation or maybe use multiple tubes at the same time to help avoid one yeast out-competing the other?

Old 06-26-2010, 12:10 AM   #40
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm very interested to know if there is a cost effective material that those of us not in the medical field could use.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Quick Reply