Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 4 day old Wheat beer on tap! - without lots of yeast!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #11
mojotele
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If this works it would be the advent of a new era in home brewing. Fermentation to serving all in one vessel with little to no intervention by the brewer? Amazing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #12
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojotele View Post
If this works it would be the advent of a new era in home brewing. Fermentation to serving all in one vessel with little to no intervention by the brewer? Amazing.
Agreed, I'm down.

pjj, I'm a "biologist" too (the quotes are because I graduate in December) and I have friends in several labs. What kind of labs or research departments would be using this stuff? Why pay for it when I can get it for free?

This is an incredible process! I would like very much to try this out as well. Maybe even experiment and try it with something semi-heavy.

Can't wait for the final results. Please be sure to let us know how much yeast is left at the bottom of the keg. Also a comparison taste test between your carboy and your keg batches would be awesome. Bring in homebrewing friend(s) for a blind taste test. That would probably allow you to most accurately determine if the process is beneficial (or even worth it.)

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 06-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #13
Sacdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wonder if this would work? I was thinking the 14 V 4519

Old 06-05-2010, 01:56 AM   #14
storunner13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I can hardly believe this..

Old 06-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Very cool. Yeast condom?

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 06-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #16
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 116

genius

Old 06-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #17
rtg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So why not compare serial SG's from the carboxyl's and the keg over the course of a few days to see if there is a difference? I think that would be a very interesting study..

Old 06-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #18
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Do a web search for "immobilized yeast". The yeast cells are basically cast into a gel-like substrate (calcium alginate) that allows the yeast access to sugar, but keeps them pinned inside. Many of the distilleries trying to ferment a high gravity wort will use this technique, as it doesn't expose the yeast to the osmotic strain that would otherwise exist if the yeast were free in solution. You can purchase the alginate quite inexpensively.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:18 AM   #19
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 31

What a cool idea! I love it! If you had a corny keg lid with a stainless nipple or two attached, you could hang the dialysis tubing down from those into the keg and have a fermentation lid. Fermentation lock could go into the tops of the nipples if they are open, or better seal them tightly and let your metered pressure relief valve set your carbonation. When time's up, you don't have to think about yeast harvesting!. Simply lift the lid out, pour out yeast until you are down to the correct pitching rate, and the lid with tubing and yeast could go right into the next keg. So much for all that yeast washing stuff. NO carboys to shatter, conicals to clean, etc. Chilled wort goes into the corny, the lids get swapped, and beer comes out. Fantastic!

I hope this sounds as clever in the morning when the IPA has cleared!

Old 06-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #20
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacdan View Post
I wonder if this would work? I was thinking the 14 V 4519
Yes, this looks good! 14K pore size will definitely keep the yeast in (and most proteins). I'm curious to see how this affect beer foam. I believe there are proteases produced by yeast, and I think I read somewhere that too much protease activity from the yeast can negatively affect head retention. At 14 K, this would likely keep the prtoeases inside, and also keep the wort proteins out. At 14 K, pretty good sized polysaccharides can still freely move across - that was one concern I had.

One thing I haven't yet checked obviously is the possible reusability of the tubing. I certainly could just transfer it to a new batch of wort, but what if I want to rinse it out and change strains? I'm going to see if it holds up to the autoclave. OK, a quick web search says the stuff can be autoclaved, or BOILED. I did see a warning about not letting it dry out afterwards (it comes dry).

Reno_eNVy_446 - you want to talk to folks doing protein biochemistry - animal, plant or microbial.

I'm thinking about brewing this weekend. I'll do another 7 gal batch, but this time, I will put the extra 2 gal of wort in a 3 gal glass carboy so I can see what is going on. I'm curious to see what level (if any?) of krausen there will be. This might be another really nice advantage for fermenting in kegs so one could fill them more full and not worrry about blow off.

We hit the keg hard on Fri. but I was gone all weekend so there is still a little left. When it is kicked I'll take some pictures of the tubing
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply