Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 3724 Saison yeast problems (surprise, surprise)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011, 03:18 AM   #1
julian81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 3724 Saison yeast problems (surprise, surprise)

So...even with all the warnings, I decided to go with this yeast for my recent Saison. Big mistake. It's been stalled out at 1.027 for the past 9+ days. I've taken 3 consecutive readings over this time period, and it hasn't budged at all.

I have no idea what other people are doing to get this yeast to work for them. Perhaps this yeast just likes specific sugars from different malts and adjuncts that weren't present in my brew...I don't know. Either way, I seem to have not lucked out in getting this one to play nice.

I pitched at 80F and have kept it there for the first week. It fizzled out 4 days after pitching. It was pretty much done 12 hours after pitching, but dropped a few more points in the next 3 days. But for the past 9+ days it hasn't gone anywhere and is stuck at 1.027. I've slowly ramped up the temp to 90F over this time as well.

At this point, I'm probably not going to use this yeast again since it just wastes my time.

Would it be safe to assume that after 9+ days of absolutely no activity that it's not going to start back up again?

If so, I've never had this issue before and have no experience pitching a secondary strain so I have a few questions.

1. Should I transfer to secondary before pitching a secondary yeast?
2. What yeast would be preferable? US-05 or some kinda Brett? When pitching another yeast, I assume I should lower the temp of the carboy to that of the secondary yeast's preferable temp range before pitching, correct?
3. Anything special about pitching a secondary or just toss it in and leave it? Should I swirl it up or anything?

At this point, I think I've been fairly patient and it hasn't gone anywhere for 9+ days.

Thanks for the help guys!

cheers,
Julian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1267 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 583

I've always had great results with this yeast. It takes time, but I significantly prefer the profile to 3711. I've been saying it around here for a while even though few people seem to go this route, but I think the key is pitching in the mid-60s and gradually ramping up the temperature into the 80s from there. Anyway, if you're looking for something easier to manage, 3711 will be it.

For now: Do a fast ferment test to figure out if your problem is actually the yeast, and then decide from there.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-16-2011, 04:57 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Pitch S05 if you want. Flavor profile is mostly set. Don't worry about the temp, since the yeast will not reproduce (alcohol + no oxygen) you should not get any yeast flavors and little fusels from the S05.

3711 produces an acceptable beer, but is not my preferred Belgian yeast.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
tesilential
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Stir the yeast and raise the temp a little if you can. Take a reading in a week. I'd give it at least 3 weeks before pitching something else. This is a sloow yeast.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
julian81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesilential View Post
Stir the yeast and raise the temp a little if you can. Take a reading in a week. I'd give it at least 3 weeks before pitching something else. This is a sloow yeast.
It's already been going for 3 weeks...of which when I did start taking readings it hasn't moved in the past 9+ days. So I think we can agree it's pretty much stalled out completely. I'm in the process of cooling and going to pitch the US05 soon.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

You could always finish it with 3711. I've never used 3724 before, but when I do pop that evil cherry, I'm going to have some 3711 standing by in case things stall at 1.030. I just read a post where someone got a saison down below 1.010 in less that 2 weeks with 3724 by placing the carboy in an igloo ice chest with a heating pad to keep things around 90*F (?) for the duration of fermentation. I'll probably go a similar route my first time. For now, I've got my first (ever) batch of saison ready to keg -- but it's namby pamby 3711.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 07-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
julian81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So it's been almost a month now since I brewed. 3 weeks since I pitched 3724. It's completely stalled out at 1.027. Last weekend I pitched half a packet of US-05 - this did absolutely nothing. 2 days ago I built up a starter of 1056 and pitched it yesterday morning. Still nothing. I'm at a loss of how to get this thing to finish

Old 07-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian81
So it's been almost a month now since I brewed. 3 weeks since I pitched 3724. It's completely stalled out at 1.027. Last weekend I pitched half a packet of US-05 - this did absolutely nothing. 2 days ago I built up a starter of 1056 and pitched it yesterday morning. Still nothing. I'm at a loss of how to get this thing to finish
Did you do a fast ferment test? If not, how do you know the problem is the yeast?

Old 07-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
julian81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not quite sure I understand what a fast ferment test is. Could you please explain? Also, the problem is most definitely yeast. I've never had this problem before and went with 3724 which is notorious for stalling. What else could it be?

Old 07-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian81
I'm not quite sure I understand what a fast ferment test is. Could you please explain? Also, the problem is most definitely yeast. I've never had this problem before and went with 3724 which is notorious for stalling. What else could it be?
Check the link I posted in my previous response.

It could be a lot of things: getting a properly fermentable wort for a saison is non-trivial and usually involves a very low mash. That in turn leads to increased risk of incomplete conversion, etc. In any case, there are a dozen possibilities for what's going on, and the fact that US-05 didn't help makes me suspect that it's not a yeast problem. But all this speculation is just that. Do the diagnostic work and you'll be able to know something with more certainty.

Quick Reply