The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 3724 Going to slow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
TANSTAAFB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Brother, this will finish at around 1004-1006 if not lower!

Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 02:30 AM   #12
bennie1986
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So since the last gravity reading on 7/12/13, which was 1.016, I have been using a "swamp cooler" method to keep the temps up over 85 (or at least that's what the hydro sample was after not changing the water for a while). Every few hours I would exchange a 1.25 gallons of water in the tub with maxed out tap water that was about 120f. That would bring the water in the tub to 95f on average and hold above 80f about 4hrs at a time. Todays gravity reading, 7/15/13, was 1.013. So I guess its going faster but I defiantly learned my lesson with not researching a new yeast strain before using it. At this point I cant say I wont use it again but if I do I will do so with more respect of its nature.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #13
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I brewed up a saison on Sunday, also around 1.050, and also with a 1.8L starter of 3724. I pitched at around 80 and within 4 hours the thing started going like crazy.

Now, 2 days later, it has slowed way down. I have the advantage though of temps in the mid 90s all week here in NYC so I'm hoping for the best. I will also rouse the yeast to keep it in suspension, which brings up a question: Does anybody use a stir plate on their carboys? I'm not sure that my DIY computer fan stirplate has enough oomph in any case, but why not?

Old 07-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
I brewed up a saison on Sunday, also around 1.050, and also with a 1.8L starter of 3724. I pitched at around 80 and within 4 hours the thing started going like crazy.

Now, 2 days later, it has slowed way down. I have the advantage though of temps in the mid 90s all week here in NYC so I'm hoping for the best. I will also rouse the yeast to keep it in suspension, which brings up a question: Does anybody use a stir plate on their carboys? I'm not sure that my DIY computer fan stirplate has enough oomph in any case, but why not?
You don't want to constantly introduce O2 when making beer, only when growing yeast. That would make an oxidized, nasty tasting beer.
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 07-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
TriggerFingers
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptaylor70 View Post
Probably the favored yeast to supplement, if you can get some, is Wyeast 3711 French Saison. There are several threads that talk about it - This one, in particular, talks about using it in concert with the Belgian saison yeast.

If you can't get any French saison, then I'd go with US-05 at ~64-66 degF. Should be neutral, where the Northwest should display some fruitiness that might not harmonize with your Belgianocity.

Agreed, next time you make a Saison using 3711--period. In your situation, I mean my first choice would be to get some 3711 and pitch it. If time is of concern, then US-05 would be a good bet, but if you can keep your temps in check I see no reason why the 1332 wouldn't work either--I wouldn't let that one get too warm.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #16
zacster
Recipes 

Well, I took a sample reading on my 3724 and it was at 1.018 already after 2 days. It is still bubbling slowly, and I did give it a stir.

I'm pretty optimistic that I'll get this down below 1.010. The temp in my kitchen, at least according to my kettle thermometer, is 85.

And the sample tastes yummy as I spill it down my front. I'll dry hop it with some mild hops, nothing too distinctive. Maybe I'll use leaf hops as they aren't as strong when dry hopping.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #17
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I kept mine in a spare bath with a space heater holding the room at 80 for 2 weeks then put it in the beer closet which is around 75 for 2 weeks. It was 1.010 when I took a reading on Sunday so stuck it back in the bathroom for a few days to see if I could get a few more points. Going to keg it sat either way

Old 07-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #18
zacster
Recipes 

I took another reading and it is at 1.014, so down .004 since yesterday. I guess it isn't stuck but I gave it a stir anyway (not to worry, no splashing). It is 86 degrees F in my kitchen according to my Blichmann Brewmometer. If I decided to cook, rather unlikely, it would get even hotter!

Old 07-18-2013, 04:15 AM   #19
zendog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Man, if I had a dollar for every time I read about a problem with this strain...

I have used this yeast (WL version) a few times and always get to 1008 within one week. Everyone talks about temperature and pitch rate, but not too much about mash schedules. I always do a step mash, just like any other beer you want to dry out. I start at 144 for 1.5 hrs, then step to about 152 for another 1 hr. Pitch at 70, allow to free-rise to plateau, then increase to 80 until its done. Yes, the mash takes a little extra time, but it saves mucho frustration in the end. Many Belgian breweries do a step mash to dry their beers out. It works. This strain makes a nice peppery, lightly sour saison with tons of character, so don't give up on it. I use a 100% 2 row grain bill, cause that's all it needs. I make a 1 liter starter the night prior, pitch the whole thing.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #20
bennie1986
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Will just took a reading of 1.011. I have been adding hot water to a tub for the last week and now the beer is starting to clear up even with the heat and sloshing the fermenter. I think I might just go ahead a bottle this, what say you?

Quick Reply