The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 3068 low temp ferment finishing high

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #11
CarnieBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes, I was wondering if it might be an extract related issue. I am doing full volume partials and small volume AG brews for my pale ale style beers, but I like the result I get from CBW Bavarian Wheat LME when doing a weizen, so I stick with extract.

I'll try bumping it up to the mid 70's post-ferment next time, but I don't think it'll help...as I said I did a forced ferment test over 48 hours, with regular shaking, and it was still 1019 at the end...so I can only assume all my fermentables have been used up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 04:56 AM   #12
jordanmills
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Going to brew an extract hefe tomorrow with store-fresh 3068. I was going to run it at around 64. I'll do 62 and get you some numbers. Of course it will be a month and a half...

Yeah read my weblog and stuff: http://jordanmills.wordpress.com/category/beer/

Old 08-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #13
CarnieBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Why will it be a month and a half? Every wheat beer I've ever brewed has reached final gravity within around 5 days. That includes those I did at higher temps that reached 1012 type FG's. I usually leave it another 7-10 days after that, but rarely any longer. It's not like we're waiting for the yeast to floc, given the hefe/dunkel style calls for the wheat to still be served in suspension.

The common theme on wheat beers around these parts seems to be that they ferment fast, and should be consumed fresh. Normally ~2 weeks in the primary, then a week in the bottle and they're ready to drink.

Have you found otherwise?

Old 08-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #14
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnieBrew View Post
Why will it be a month and a half? Every wheat beer I've ever brewed has reached final gravity within around 5 days. I usually leave it another 7-10 days after that, but never any longer. It's not like we're waiting for the yeast to floc, given the hefe/dunkel style calls for the wheat to still be in suspension.

The common theme on wheat beers around these parts seems to be that they ferment fast, and should be consumed fresh. Normally ~2 weeks in the primary, then a week in the bottle and they're ready to drink.

Have you found otherwise?
The yeast in suspension comes from rolling the bottle before serving. It shouldnt be so laden with yeast it looks cloudy in the bottle.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:25 AM   #15
CarnieBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I agree, but I also find mine are quite clear in the bottle after a few days of conditioning, even after only two weeks in the fermenter.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
jordanmills
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here's the numbers.

6 lbs light LME
1/2 lbs wheat malt
1/2 lbs two row
1/2 lbs cara-pils
1 oz hallertau at 60
1 L stirred starter of WY3068
Ferment at straight 18 C +/- 1 C (~65 F)

OG 1.048
d1 1.044
d2 -
d3 -
d4 1.022

Was out of town most of the weekend and fell asleep instead of checking. Oops. Had some major airlock activity though. This morning (d4), I found the airlock blown out and liquid on the fermenter and in the chamber. I'll try to keep better daily numbers now. Later this week (assuming it levels out) I'll try again at 62 F and wash my grain better.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #17
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 516 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanmills View Post
I found the airlock blown out and liquid on the fermenter and in the chamber.
Yes, that would be 3068. Almost chases you out of the brewery. I had a SS cylindroconical with a flat lid made of stainless that probably weighed 25 - 30 lbs. 3068 would pick that thing up and slide it out of the way. Result being essentially the same as what you have: splooge all over the place.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #18
jordanmills
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
Yes, that would be 3068. Almost chases you out of the brewery. I had a SS cylindroconical with a flat lid made of stainless that probably weighed 25 - 30 lbs. 3068 would pick that thing up and slide it out of the way. Result being essentially the same as what you have: splooge all over the place.
Yeah I haven't used it in over a year. Forgot how much I love its personality.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #19
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 278

i agree that ramping up fermentation temp towards the end is the way to go.

however, let's define 'towards the end.' the posters that mention "1 week at 62, 1 week at 70" are IMO waiting way too long to get the benefit of the ramped up temperature. it's like turning on the afterburners when the jet has already landed.

instead, on day two of fermentation at 62 degrees, get out the ol' hydrometer and start taking readings. when it is around 2/3 complete (for a typical hefe this would represent a gravity of 1.026-1.030), then bump the temp up to about room temperature. typically this is going to be on about the third day of having an active krausen.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #20
CarnieBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, perhaps I'm leaving it too late before upping the temps. Next time I'll try what you've suggested, and report back. I hope it doesn't change the profile too much though, I'm loving this beer. Who would've thought 1019 could be so drinkable?

Quick Reply