Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 2nd generation yeast how to

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
binaryman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2nd generation yeast how to

So for many of you this will be a dumb question...

I've brewed a few batches, but starting to get into it more. I hear people talk about 2nd and 3rd generation yeast.

Where\what do I reclaim this yeast from?

How do I reclaim it?

How do I store it?

How long is it good for stored?

How many generations can I use it for?

Also, my neighbor said he harvested yeast from a shelf craft beer. I think he said was the 'gunk' at the bottom. Is this accurate?

Last edited by binaryman; 05-10-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: additional question

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

1) your primary

2) scoop out a cup or so (see mrmalty.com for appropriate amount) & pitch or wash the yeast: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

3) in sanitized jars in the fridge

4) a long time

5) IIRC, 10 is the suggested limit

6) yes, the dregs at the bottom of the bottle can be used. heres a list of confirmed ones: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/commercial-beer-yeast-harvest-list-262713/

Old 05-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've been top cropping my english ale yeasts, I have two carboy caps each with a 3/8 stainless tube through them connected with tubing. I put one on to the fermenting carboy (this one has an air filter and a hose attached to it too) the other goes into a flask. I use the tube with the filter to blow into the fermenter an push out the liquid at the top of the fermenter. I harvest about 300-500ml of the top of the fermenting beer at high krousen, and then add 1500ml of a starter and let that go over night. That gives me ~600 billion cell count (rough estimate) that i pitch into a 11 gallon batch.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Well, it depends on the type of fermenter you use and how you want to go about it because there are a ton of different ways. I personally use carboys and dump in the boiled and cooled water and then rinse and save it. Just do a search for it. There are a few really good topics on this site and you can find videos on youtube.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmybeer View Post
Well, it depends on the type of fermenter you use and how you want to go about it because there are a ton of different ways. I personally use carboys and dump in the boiled and cooled water and then rinse and save it. Just do a search for it. There are a few really good topics on this site and you can find videos on youtube.
+1 The sticky at the top of this forum and the video on BillyBrew were my two main references.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Quick Reply