Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 2nd fermentation cycle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
dpruntz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2nd fermentation cycle

How will ik the 2nd cycle of fermentation is finished? The instructions say 2-4 weeks but is it 2 weeks, 3 weeks or 4?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
harrke
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

You'll probably need to provide some more information to get the answer you want to hear. But, while I haven't put anything into a secondary fermenter, I believe you may be referring to a conditioning stage either in the primary or in a secondary fermenter. If so, this is really a "clean up" stage of the process. I don't go by time so much as looking to see it clear and the yeast drop.

Maybe describe your whole process and the specifics of the recipe and those with way more knowledge and experience than me will give you a more direct answer.

Ken Harrison

Old 09-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Only way to know for sure is by taking a hydrometer measurement.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

"2nd fermentation cycle "

Normally "secondary" is not a fermentation. Once primary fermentation is COMPLETE some brewers transfer the beer to what is called a secondary "fermenter", but no actual fermentation takes place there. The secondary is used to clear up (brighten) the beer, to make some additions (ex. dry hopping), to keep the beer from sitting on the yeast too long (not really a problem for most folks) in order to prevent autolysis and a few other reasons???

I do not use a secondary and never have. Just a week or two longer in the primary (once fermentation is done and the SG is stable and in the expected range) and my ales have always gone into the bottle nice and clear.

OMO

bosco

Quick Reply