Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 21 hours and no Safale S-05 activity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009, 02:32 AM   #1
Beavdowg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default 21 hours and no Safale S-05 activity

I rehydrated for the first time last night; 30 minutes in 78 deg sterile water. I shook up my ale pail real well and poured the slurry in. The wort was approx. 68 deg and the ambient temp in the room is approx 65-67 deg. Here It is 21 hrs later and absolutely no activity at all. What's going on and should I think about repitching another dry pack of S-05?

Help...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2009, 02:34 AM   #2
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Revvy??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 11-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #3
dcbeerboy
Recipes 

most likely you pitched enough, so i'd wait. you're probably fine.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #4
GrizlyGarou
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Probably a bad seal on your bucket. If you want to open it a bit and look, you'll most likely see krausen. Or, you could wait for a bit to see if anything starts bubbling.

I guess you could shine a flashlight at the side of the bucket and probably see the dark shadow from the krausen, too.

There's a sticky somewhere about waiting for fermentation to start, too.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:51 AM   #5
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

That has always been a solid performer for me. I brewed last night and pitched re-hydrated S-05 and is was chugging away when I got up this morning. (As usual)

Old 11-22-2009, 02:55 AM   #6
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

What do you mean by no activity? Buckets don't always seal fully, which leads to a lack of bubbling in the airlock.
From the previously mentioned sticky:

Quote:
Fermentation can take 24-72 hours to begin.
Don't worry if your brew takes up to 3 days to show signs fermenting.
Especially if you used liquid yeast and didn't make a big starter and oxygenate.
It is also worth noting that no bubbles in the air lock does not mean it isn't fermenting.

If at 3 days nothing seems to of happened then take a gravity reading to make sure you haven't missed the fermentation.
It is preferable to have a brew start fermenting as soon as possible
If you follow correct and advised procedures then I say most brews see activity in 6 to 18 hours. If this doesn't happen then it doesn't mean you've done anything wrong. You may just not be seeing it or it's taking it's time.

It is quite common for new brews to get worried after 24 hours to 48 hours.
They get told to wait and then realize that the advice was correct.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:04 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

First, 21 hours is NOT 72 hours, and as we say here, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...e-signs-43635/ (But in thise thread it is said repeatedly Airlock is NOT the visible sign we are talking about.) THEN take a hydrometer reading, and you will know what your beer is doing.

By "not active at all" are you referring to airlock activity? That's never an accurate indication of fermentation. It is a vent to release excess co2..not a fermentation gauge...

Your beer will ferment whether or not the airlock bubbles. If it's not bubbling it usually just means that doesn't need to release any EXCESS co2. Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that anything's wrong, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working dilligantly away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years..

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Thinking about adding more yeast, like you asked about, without first taking a grav reading is tantamount to the doctor doing the same thing to you....proposing a "cure" without really knowing what the problem is.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

annasdadhockey... You could have handeled this yourself. if in doubt, just quote one of the 10,000 posts whre I have said the same thing..I don't care if you take my words as gospel and not credit me..you knew the answer. you couolda said it yourself.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-22-2009, 03:07 AM   #8
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I know, but you have these answers on speed dial, I figured I'd save myself the searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 11-22-2009, 04:07 AM   #9
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I should have quoted you instead of the sticky Revvy. Your wording is a little more clear and concise.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
jgbrown
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
I should have quoted you instead of the sticky Revvy. Your wording is a little more clear and concise.
It's okay, we still love you. In reality, I still check my airlock like a hawk for the first 2 weeks. I get all when my airlock bubbles. I don't think I would have as much fun brewing if my airlock didn't bubble.

Quick Reply