The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 20 hours and no activity yet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
BrettV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default 20 hours and no activity yet

Should I be concerned? It's an NB Irish red kit; did everything correctly; OG came in at 1.055 as it should have. Only variable was that the yeast I used (Wyeast American Ale II) was started several weeks ago and I wasn't able to brew. The community told me to stick it in the fridge, and let it sleep til I needed it. I stored it in a bomber with foil wrapped around the top. I pulled it out before I started brew day, and when it was time to pitch I decanted the liquid on top, swirled it a little to get all the yeasties off the bottom and pitched them at 68 degrees. Is it because they were sleeping so long that there's such a lag, or should I run out and get new yeast? How much longer should I wait? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: By no activity I mean no airlock activity and no foam. I am fermenting in a 6-gallon plastic carboy.

Primary: Kolsch
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simcoe Stupid) Pale Ale
Planning: IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
YeastCake
Recipes 

Starters scare me... Wish I could help, I just use dry yeast. rehydrate and throw. Oh so easy!

from the big boys brewery, to your frosted glass. No where does plastic come into play. Why would you brew with it? Use some class, brew with glass!

Old 09-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
Boleslaus
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Revvy will soon convince you that everything is fine and refer you to numerous other threads with this exact same topic. RDWHAHB.

Watch me leap through this hoop!

My current line-up:

Fermenter 1: Altbier

Old 09-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boleslaus
Revvy will soon convince you that everything is fine and refer you to numerous other threads with this exact same topic. RDWHAHB.
Of course you could have done it yourself, and saved me having to search for a previous answer of mine..

Most importantly... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...e-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock.
It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall.

Wait 72 hours and take a hydro reading.. And you'll find that you worried for nothing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
BrettV
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. I'm just being a skittish n00b. (3rd brew)

Old 09-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettV View Post
Thanks. I'm just being a skittish n00b. (3rd brew)
Just like 99.5% of the folks who start these types of threads....If there weren't a need for that stickey then it wouldn't be there.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
BrettV
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I humbly apologize for not seeing the sticky, and posting a redundant thread.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
YeastCake
Recipes 

meh, thats what a forum is here for.

from the big boys brewery, to your frosted glass. No where does plastic come into play. Why would you brew with it? Use some class, brew with glass!

Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

I would think there has to be some sort of script the mods can run the searches for key words like "no activity" "Fermenation" "x Hours" whenever someone starts a thread, and have a canned response from revvy show up. All these responses are taking away from his brewing time.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyday View Post
I would think there has to be some sort of script the mods can run the searches for key words like "no activity" "Fermenation" "x Hours" whenever someone starts a thread, and have a canned response from revvy show up. All these responses are taking away from his brewing time.
No, doctor's appointments and work have taken away from my brewing time...Since I'm at work, and in front of a computer all day, that's where the answering happens...but it would be nice if folks looked at the 5-10 other "no fermentation" threads that are posted in the same section at any given moment, before they posted...it would seem to save them having to freakout...I mean that's how I did it when I started out, when I was freaked out, before I even began posting I looked and saw the "experts" telling us noobs to rdwhahb for the same thing I was wondering, so I figured if that was the answer for them, it wouldn't be any different for me, so I did Relax and have a beer...and it worked... *shrug*

Quick Reply