Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 2 Week week wait before fermentation. Problems?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
drpepper322
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5
Default 2 Week week wait before fermentation. Problems?

Hi everyone, first time poster, long time brewer / lurker. So far everyone on the forums have been a great help!

Now for my dilemma ...about two weeks ago I brewed a Czech Pilsner ( First time doing a lager), used White Labs WLP800 and hit O.G. of around 1.061. I let it sit for a few days, and temperature was hovering between 49-and 55. After a few days I checked the fermenter, and absolutely no movement in the airlock. I took a reading and was down to 1.048. At this point I was pretty relieved things were happening and then just let it sit. 2 weeks later, right around transferring time, I noticed there was still no movement in the airlock ( the inner piece not pushed up by any CO2), I took a reading and O.G. was still at the 1.048. SO just out of curiosity I took a termperature reading and noticed the brew was 45...Way too cold for WLP800. So I moved it to warmer place, and within a few hours I noticed the Airlock gradually bubbling away. Despite a two week lag time at least things are starting to move!

I'm only concerned with the two week wait and anything that could have happened during that time. Will there be any off flavors from that lag time? and more importantly, is there any risk of infection just having cooled wort sitting in a fermenting bucket for two weeks? Is there anything else I should be wary of?

Thanks for the input

__________________
drpepper322 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,240
Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

You'll want to check gravity on that. As a liquid warms up, gas will come out of solution. So you can have airlock bubbles with no fermentation.

__________________

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

ChshreCat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
drpepper322
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5
Default

Just checked it... down to 1.036, and there's finally some krausen on the top

__________________
drpepper322 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,651
Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Default

I don't think you'll have a problem.

__________________

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

david_42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
drpepper322
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5
Default

Glad to hear it. Anything else I should be wary about with this?

__________________
drpepper322 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 02:58 AM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,240
Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

You might be more likely to have a stalled ferment since the cold would have caused more yeast to fall out of suspension. Don't worry too much about it, but if it does stall you might have to rouse it a little. Leave it be for now though, just check it again in a week.

__________________

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

ChshreCat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repitch or wait a week and see if the beer gods save me? k2brew Fermentation & Yeast 5 12-21-2009 08:55 PM
Bottle now or wait a week? Dionysos911 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 02-03-2009 10:51 PM
Should I transfer into Secondary or wait one week mioduz Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 02-03-2009 12:20 AM
Ready to bottle or wait another week? Papinquack Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 09-03-2008 09:23 PM
What's best: week at room temp or week in fridge? novafire Bottling/Kegging 3 07-20-2008 08:00 PM