Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 2 Week week wait before fermentation. Problems?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
drpepper322
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2 Week week wait before fermentation. Problems?

Hi everyone, first time poster, long time brewer / lurker. So far everyone on the forums have been a great help!

Now for my dilemma ...about two weeks ago I brewed a Czech Pilsner ( First time doing a lager), used White Labs WLP800 and hit O.G. of around 1.061. I let it sit for a few days, and temperature was hovering between 49-and 55. After a few days I checked the fermenter, and absolutely no movement in the airlock. I took a reading and was down to 1.048. At this point I was pretty relieved things were happening and then just let it sit. 2 weeks later, right around transferring time, I noticed there was still no movement in the airlock ( the inner piece not pushed up by any CO2), I took a reading and O.G. was still at the 1.048. SO just out of curiosity I took a termperature reading and noticed the brew was 45...Way too cold for WLP800. So I moved it to warmer place, and within a few hours I noticed the Airlock gradually bubbling away. Despite a two week lag time at least things are starting to move!

I'm only concerned with the two week wait and anything that could have happened during that time. Will there be any off flavors from that lag time? and more importantly, is there any risk of infection just having cooled wort sitting in a fermenting bucket for two weeks? Is there anything else I should be wary of?

Thanks for the input

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

You'll want to check gravity on that. As a liquid warms up, gas will come out of solution. So you can have airlock bubbles with no fermentation.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 02-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
drpepper322
Recipes 

Just checked it... down to 1.036, and there's finally some krausen on the top

Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I don't think you'll have a problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
drpepper322
Recipes 

Glad to hear it. Anything else I should be wary about with this?

Old 02-03-2010, 02:58 AM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

You might be more likely to have a stalled ferment since the cold would have caused more yeast to fall out of suspension. Don't worry too much about it, but if it does stall you might have to rouse it a little. Leave it be for now though, just check it again in a week.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply