Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 2 batches per yeast sachet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
mkptym
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2 batches per yeast sachet?

When brewing two standard batches, would it work to split a premium yeast sachet between the two batches?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

You would probably be underpitching. Best to go sequentially; ferment the lower-gravity batch then harvest the cake for the bigger beer.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:25 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I routinely do this. I buy one pack of wyeast, smack it, and make at least 2 starters with it before I pitch into my wort.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:38 AM   #4
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You can make hundreds of batches from a single sachet of yeast if you really care to. Harvest the slurry upon racking. Best practice is to "wash" the yeast...but I am lazy and sometimes just repitch a portion of the slurry into my next batch, You can also save the yeast cake in the refrigerator in a sanitized container...I prefer to just use ziplock bags as I figure they are sanitized during manufacturing, hopefully....hah. I try and reuse the yeast promptly and not let it "hang around" too long, how long is too long, IDK.

Best practice is probably not to split a pack of yeast, for the couple three dollars it costs.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 08-20-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
billvon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkptym View Post
When brewing two standard batches, would it work to split a premium yeast sachet between the two batches?
You might get a slow start that way. I'd pitch one, wait until the fermentation really got going, then take a sample and use it to inoculate the second. The more transferred the better, so it works best when the two beers are identical (or at least similar.)

Quick Reply