Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 2.5 gallon jar for yeast starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
rellot
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default 2.5 gallon jar for yeast starter

Just want to share this great find.

I was needing to make a one gallon starter for a lager and the largest thing I have to make the starter in is one gallon wine jugs. But I don't want my starter to spill over and since I only have one stir plate, I didn't want to use 2 one gallon jugs.

So while at target the other day, I spotted this beauty.

It's 2.5 gallons, has a mostly flat bottom and worked perfectly. It was only $20. I could have gotten a smaller 1.5 gallon one just like it, but for 5 more bucks, now I have room to make even bigger starters.

The opening is big enough to clean the inside really well and the cover is stainless steel, and lets air in an out (if you take the silicone stopper out).

Here's a couple pictures of it in action on my stir plate.

Here you can see how the bottom curves just enough to sit flat on my homemade stir plate. I usually have little rubber bumpers (you can see them off to the left on the second picture and sometimes I use a piece of plexiglass.

The distance between the magnets and the stir bar was so small I was able to crank the fan up to high.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yeah, Some folks are using Montana Jars as fermenters....They come in all different sizes including 2 gallons.

From here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/tepache-200053/

And here's info on turning one into a fermenter...

2 1/2 gallon Montana Jar Fermenter

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3461 Times on 2145 Posts
Likes Given: 2974

If you look closely you should find two small holes in that silicone seal. I closed them up with hotglue.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
rellot
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

really, as fermenters, that's an idea.

Quick Reply