Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 1st Open Fermentation- Racked to secondary too early?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
brew_operative
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1st Open Fermentation- Racked to secondary too early?

So I experimented with my first open fermentation on a Belgian Trippel and have a bad feeling I messed up the primary last night.

The beer sat in my open primary bucket for about 50 hours and was reaching high krausen (from my estimation), having been skimmed about four times with foam about 6 inches thick. Because I will be away from my beer for the next 3 days, I was afraid of letting the krausen drop and expose it to infection.

Seeing all the activity in the carboy when I transferred, I have a feeling fermentation hadn't completed. Being a big beer at 1.080 SG, I bet it would have gone a few more days. Will it finish out, or am I doomed with an under-fermented beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply