Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 1st Lager Yeast Starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
wdwalter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 1st Lager Yeast Starter

First post here, I bypassed the intro page and went straight for the help! Hello to everyone and thanks for any replies! First attempt at a lager yeast starter raises a couple questions. All ale yeast starters I have made will produce a good amount of co2 when shaken. However, even after 24 hours the lager yeast will not foam even after a vigorous shake. I followed the same principles I used with the ale yeasts, 1/2 cup DME to 2 cups water, boiled 10 minutes and cooled to 70 before pitching. I am using White Labs San Francisco lager yeast. Every other starter I have made was with WYeast. Again, no problems with those.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4260 Times on 3103 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwalter View Post
First post here, I bypassed the intro page and went straight for the help! Hello to everyone and thanks for any replies! First attempt at a lager yeast starter raises a couple questions. All ale yeast starters I have made will produce a good amount of co2 when shaken. However, even after 24 hours the lager yeast will not foam even after a vigorous shake. I followed the same principles I used with the ale yeasts, 1/2 cup DME to 2 cups water, boiled 10 minutes and cooled to 70 before pitching. I am using White Labs San Francisco lager yeast. Every other starter I have made was with WYeast. Again, no problems with those.
It sounds ok to me. I haven't really noticed more or less co2 production in different yeast strains, but I have noticed that some don't even form much, if any, krausen.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
toadspit26
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This past weekend I made a Pils using White Labs SF Lager. I had the same experience with my starter, no krausen in the starter. Pitched into 1.061 wort and 24 hours later the brew was rocking. No concerns here.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
wdwalter
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Been about 24 hours now and the brew is fermenting just fine. Guess there was nothing to worry about!

Quick Reply