Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 16 Hours - Still no signs of fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
yournotpeter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 16 Hours - Still no signs of fermentation

So I brewed a 1.081 OG Weizenbock with WLP300 (Hefeweizen) - based upon the Weizenbock recipe in Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles. MrMalty called for the equivalent of 3 vials. So I had made up my starter as usual, but when I took it out of the fridge to decant, I had every reason to believe I had gotten an infection and was really, really leery about pitching it and ruining a batch. I decided to quickly run to my LHBS and pick up what they had, which was only 2 vials. I oxygenated the wort thoroughly and then dumped the two vials and placed it in my fermentation fridge at 62 (per the recipe).

Well, here we are 16 hours later and I have NO activity. This being the first beer I've done without a starter in a long time, I just don't remember if this is normal or should I be worried. Would anyone possibly recommend increasing the temp to room temp to get the yeast active and then bringing back down to 62?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...e-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock.

16 is less than 72 hours, last I checked. Just give it some more time. because you didn't use a starter, lag time IS expected.

Relax

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
yournotpeter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

16 is less than 72 hours, last I checked. Just give it some more time. because you didn't use a starter, lag time IS expected.

Relax
Thanks, Revvy...I've just had such incredible success with starters and quick, violent fermentation that I just feel incomplete right now...

Old 09-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Just remember how many brewers (usually new) brew beer without making ANY starters, and often pitch only one tube of yeast, and their beer manages to turn out (though prolly not as cleanly as we know is possible.)

You at least pitched two. So you doubled the odds anyway.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-13-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Yeah, I second revvy. You'll be just fine. I had a some batches that took 3 days to start going, but once they did, they really took off.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
yournotpeter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidhomebrewer View Post
Yeah, I second revvy. You'll be just fine. I had a some batches that took 3 days to start going, but once they did, they really took off.
Do you think the lag time has anything to do with the fact that I'm at 62 degrees?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
yournotpeter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Just give it some more time. because you didn't use a starter, lag time IS expected.

Relax
72 hours and NO signs of fermentation. NO bubbling in the airlock or any visible activity in the carboy. I just can't believe that I pitched 2 vials and I've got no signs of anything. Any ideas?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by yournotpeter View Post
72 hours and NO signs of fermentation. NO bubbling in the airlock or any visible activity in the carboy. I just can't believe that I pitched 2 vials and I've got no signs of anything. Any ideas?
What's your gravity at?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
yournotpeter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
What's your gravity at?
Well, haven't taken one yet...I supposed that is indeed the true indication of fermentation, right? Guess I just answered part of my own question...I'll go check

Old 09-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
yournotpeter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
What's your gravity at?
Just took a gravity - it hasn't budged. I can't imagine what the heck is going on.

Quick Reply