Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 1187 Ringwood
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
GRHunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 586
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default 1187 Ringwood

I bought 2 Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Activators from 2 separate LHBS's. I let them both warm up, broke the nutrient packet, mixed everything up real well, and then waited 4 hours. Neither one "inflated" as other Wyeast yeasts that I have used. Is this normal? The main reason I am asking is that now 16 hours after pitching two packages of yeast I am not seeing any fermentation activity. The wort has a gravity of 1.080, was well aerated, and has been at a stable 70 degrees. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

__________________
Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer.
It's a lot like recreation league softball.
GRHunter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
poley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orono, ME
Posts: 196
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

What was the date on the packages? Unless they're way expired or were both really badly handled, you should be ok.

I've heard that these packets don't always inflate well, you may have not mixed them well enough, etc. I'd pitch them anyway, as the mixing actually has nothing to do with making the yeast, it's just some food and nutrient to "proof" the yeast.

If you don't have any activity after 24 hours, might want to go get some dry yeast, though with 2 packs from separate stores, that seems unlikely.

__________________
poley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
GRHunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 586
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poley View Post
What was the date on the packages? Unless they're way expired or were both really badly handled, you should be ok.

I've heard that these packets don't always inflate well, you may have not mixed them well enough, etc. I'd pitch them anyway, as the mixing actually has nothing to do with making the yeast, it's just some food and nutrient to "proof" the yeast.

If you don't have any activity after 24 hours, might want to go get some dry yeast, though with 2 packs from separate stores, that seems unlikely.
Both packages were manufactured on the same day, November 30, 2010. But they have different batch numbers on them. I was just wondering if the 1187 yeast was known for slow fermentation, either inside the package or outside.
__________________
Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer.
It's a lot like recreation league softball.
GRHunter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
MachineShopBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montrose, MN
Posts: 1,053
Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

I have never used the Ringwood but have read and heard a lot about it. From what I hear, it ferments like mad and finishes within 2-3 days.

I plugged your numbers into mrmalty and according to yeast age and OG you should have pitched 7.2 packs of yeast without a starter. I am guessing that is why you are seeing a lag, thats a pretty good underpitch.

__________________
MachineShopBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
poley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orono, ME
Posts: 196
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

That sounds rather extreme. I think you should be OK, as long as the yeast was well handled prior to your receipt of it. Good luck, and try to RDWHAH.

__________________
poley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
GRHunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 586
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
I have never used the Ringwood but have read and heard a lot about it. From what I hear, it ferments like mad and finishes within 2-3 days.

I plugged your numbers into mrmalty and according to yeast age and OG you should have pitched 7.2 packs of yeast without a starter. I am guessing that is why you are seeing a lag, thats a pretty good underpitch.
That makes sense. Not good news, but it does explain a lot.
__________________
Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer.
It's a lot like recreation league softball.
GRHunter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
Tinga
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 1,160
Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

in before revvy.

signs of fermentation can take up to 3 days. wait it out. also probably didnt pitch enough cells they are sexing it up and multiplying so they can do the work all at once. let them have their fun.

__________________
Tinga is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #8
GRHunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 586
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
in before revvy.

signs of fermentation can take up to 3 days. wait it out. also probably didnt pitch enough cells they are sexing it up and multiplying so they can do the work all at once. let them have their fun.
I was more concerned about the Activation Packs not inflating. Thee were the first packs that didn't swell up in just a few hours.

But I guess the big question is what should I do now? Obviously I severely under pitched my yeast. Do I just wait it out? Or is there something I should be doing to remedy the situation?
__________________
Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer.
It's a lot like recreation league softball.
GRHunter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 12:48 AM   #9
MachineShopBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montrose, MN
Posts: 1,053
Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Quote:
signs of fermentation can take up to 3 days

Not so much with the ringwood strain. That strain is known for taking off right away and fermenting fully in 2-3 days.

I just listened to one of the BN shows last week and they had the brewer who started at the Ringwood brewery at the beginning. He was talking about the yeast and said that it ferments like crazy and finishes very fast, in like 2-3 days when pitched at proper levels. I have never actually used it myself so all the information I know is what the original brewer said, which I would take as law.
__________________
MachineShopBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
poley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orono, ME
Posts: 196
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRHunter View Post
I was more concerned about the Activation Packs not inflating. Thee were the first packs that didn't swell up in just a few hours.

But I guess the big question is what should I do now? Obviously I severely under pitched my yeast. Do I just wait it out? Or is there something I should be doing to remedy the situation?
I would give it another day and look for bubbles. Depending on your dedication, you could pitch a third pack, or scrap your ringwood plans and go for something cheap. Chances are that there's viable ringwood in there, and pitching something else will likely give you a mixed fermentation.
__________________
poley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My ringwood doesn't taste like their ringwood jmo88 Fermentation & Yeast 9 03-25-2010 02:42 AM
Ringwood attenuation jmo88 Fermentation & Yeast 5 02-16-2010 04:16 AM
Ringwood Wyeast starter - doing nothing szm Fermentation & Yeast 4 11-28-2009 03:41 PM
Wyeast Ringwood Ale hankisanerd Fermentation & Yeast 14 11-05-2009 04:36 AM
DOH! My helper pitched a packet of 1187 into hot wort! Irrenarzt Fermentation & Yeast 8 10-13-2009 10:42 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS