Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 1098 vs. S-05 Double Pitched oops, who'll win?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
Pete08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHollingsworth View Post
That 1098 doesn't have a lot of Brit character anyway. If you want Brit character, you should use a different yeast. Don't get me wrong, 1098 is great. But it's a pretty neutral yeast. You can use it for American styles and enter in competitions and the judges can't tell it's British yeast.
Sort of like S-04?

I used to be dyslexic, but am KO now!!

Enola Gay--Far East Tour Summer '45--Coming to Your Town, Limited Engagement--Get Your Seats Now!!--They'll Be Gone in a Flash!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
Pete08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If "you knew, you knew" about airlock activity, then why the heck did you feel the need to repitch? And why didn't you wait the 72 hours we recommend before doing anything, like we mention here? http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

Or use a hydrometer?

Come on, you say you Know...yet you did exactly what a noob who doesn't know any better does, try to fix something that may not even be broken to begin with, just because you are impatient.

Back to mr beer for you....your allgrain card is revoked.
What can I say??

I used to be dyslexic, but am KO now!!

Enola Gay--Far East Tour Summer '45--Coming to Your Town, Limited Engagement--Get Your Seats Now!!--They'll Be Gone in a Flash!!

Old 10-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete08 View Post
Sort of like S-04?
S-04 is the same as Wyeast 1099 from what I understand, which is Whitbread. 1098 is Whitebread Dry. It's drier, attenuates more, along the lines of Wyeast 1056 or Safale US 05. I haven't used Wyeast 1099 or Safale S 04, but they supposedly attentuate a bit less.

1098 is pretty clean, not a lot of esters or mineral or other Brit character. Can't say with S-04 if it's like that. I hear S 04 is "bready".

You can read Wyeast's or White Labs website info and they give pretty good descriptions of what the yeast character is like. If you want more Brit character, go more for one that says it has that rather than one that says it's "neutral, clean".

Old 10-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete08 View Post
What can I say??

I think I may start a "Revvy's Regression Award" for any more "experienced" brewers who take a step back and do something that they clearly new better, and did any way.

You've inspired me.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #15
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

The yeast will win. You likely over-pitched. I recently did a similar thing except I started with a washed cake (so I had a ton of yeast to begin with) but it didn't start quickly so I pitched a packet of S-04. The beer was fine.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Quick Reply