Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 1010 tartness/fermentation temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
jpold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1010 tartness/fermentation temp

I used this strain for an American Wheat. I chose it because it is supposed to have a bit of a tart flavor, which is what I wanted for this beer. My primary fermentation temp was 62 degrees. I got a bit of sulfur (which is normal for this strain) but that dissipated after a couple of weeks. But there is no discernible tart flavor. So did I ferment too cool? Would I get more of the tartness if I fermented up around 65 or a little higher? Or will the tart flavor come through if I give it more time?

Any one with experience with this yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
richbrew99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I started my Amer Wheat at around 65 and then upped it to about 68-70 to finish it off. Sample I took had a very nice flavor, mildy tart.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
MNDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

With an advertised temp range of the below, I'd say shoot for 72F next time and get into flavor country!

Temperature Range: 58-74° F (14-23° C)

Old 08-23-2013, 01:58 AM   #4
jpold
Recipes 

Update: Throughout primary fermentation and right up until bottling, the results from this yeast were very clean with no discernable tart flavor and very little ester. But after two weeks in the bottle, there was a clear, if slightly subtle, tartness to this beer. Not strong, but a flavor that balanced the other flavors in the beer nicely. It turned out really well actually. I think the carbonation helped bring out some of the flavors that didn't come through before bottling. And now that the beer has been in the bottle for 4-5 weeks, the esters have really started coming out. At this point, the beer (what is left of it at least which isn't much) has a distinctly fruity profile. So, the flavors I wanted were in there. I just needed to be more patient.

Quick Reply