10 hours and no bubbling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSun

Reaction score
Yesterday I started a late brew and got done at 2 in the morning. I brought the wort down to 80° maybe 78 and the yeast was at about 80° as well. I was able to swish the wort back-and-forth a few times between the kettle and the primary fermenting bucket to create some oxygen. I may not have done it as much as I wanted to but there was some foam on the top of the bucket. It's now 12 o'clock in the afternoon and it's been about 10 hours and the bubbling is not happening in the airlock. Is there anything wrong or should I give it more time?

In my previous brew it took about 11 hours for the bubbling to start...Maybe I'm just overreacting.

I brewed last Sunday and checked every day this week with nothing. Today I went down today and blow off jar was bubbling like a hot tub. 5 days nothin day 6 nuts.

I brewed last Sunday and checked every day this week with nothing. Today I went down today and blow off jar was bubbling like a hot tub. 5 days nothin day 6 nuts.

What do you think is the cause for the huge delay? I'd go crazy and probably start adding nutrients and ****.

I never do anything to my beer for 2 weeks by rule to me it would be worse to get infected. I can always repitch yeast but infected means a dead beer.

Adding too low of a yeast count can delay fermentation start. Most new guys add one smack pack per 5gal batch which isn't enough. I used to too. Now that I'm doing starters I find my fermentations start within 3 hours or less. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390074545.151266.jpg
Very simple water and dme In there with some ferment-s to control boil over. and as you can see I merely transfer this beaker to the ice bath and add yeast/o2. If you have a stir plate great, if not, 2 days of fermenting (shake it every time you walk by to aerate) then into the fridge. On brew day pour off the liquid (most). Slurry the rest and pitch when ready. Cleaner beer. Faster.

Adding too low of a yeast count can delay fermentation start. Most new guys add one smack pack per 5gal batch which isn't enough. I used to too. Now that I'm doing starters I find my fermentations start within 3 hours or less. View attachment 173039
Very simple water and dme In there with some ferment-s to control boil over. and as you can see I merely transfer this beaker to the ice bath and add yeast/o2. If you have a stir plate great, if not, 2 days of fermenting (shake it every time you walk by to aerate) then into the fridge. On brew day pour off the liquid (most). Slurry the rest and pitch when ready. Cleaner beer. Faster.

I'm looking to buy the stir plate and read up on how to do it.

This is the first ting fermentation hasn't started within a 12 hour span. Makes me sad.

It's pretty fun. The stir plate will reduce the time it takes to get your count up. I found a home made one on eBay for 46$ it works great and came with a 1" stir bar. A 2000ml flask for about 20$. And some fermcap-s to control boil over (you can see how vigorous that boil is in the Pic above and it didn't boil over at all). You'll use your measuring cup for dme and water and maybe your funnel. No need for an airlock since bacteria doesn't crawl and your starter will only be a few days old or a weekish when you use it. A sterilized piece of foil will do the trick.

Back