1 smackpack for 13 gallon batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewvy

Reaction score
I have been having great results pitching a single smackpack into my 13 gallon batches fermenting in my sanke fermenters. I usually buy a fresh pack right before i brew,smack it then pitch it when i'm done,active fermentation by morning in most cases. I try to cool wort to about 74 degrees and keep it in my basement where it cools to 67 or so. That couple extra degrees to start helps it get going strong.

I have had some good results when I have had to underpitch (Leaking smac pak) but I try to do a starter. I do not like to temp fate for a few $$.

That will ferment your beer.... eventually...... But pitching the right amount of yeast should make your beer better.

One pack is considered underpitching in a 5 gallon batch, so it would be WAY underpitching for a 13 gallon batch.

To use a single pack/vial of yeast in a starter (using a stirplate) for 13 gallons at 1.050 mrmalty suggests a 5.71 liter starter.

I have been having great results pitching a single smackpack into my 13 gallon batches fermenting in my sanke fermenters. I usually buy a fresh pack right before i brew,smack it then pitch it when i'm done,active fermentation by morning in most cases. I try to cool wort to about 74 degrees and keep it in my basement where it cools to 67 or so. That couple extra degrees to start helps it get going strong.

Forgive me, but when I hear something like this, I don't think, "wow, this guy is awesome to make this work!," but rather, "wow! this guy must have an awful palate!".

I too used to make "good beer" by underpitching and then I started making starters and keeping the beer on the lower end of the temperature range and now I make good beer. If you like what you're doing keep going with it but I doubt you're going to convince many people on here that it is the way to go.

Stir plates really aren't hard to make, or barring that, big[ish] starters. A few bucks in DME is well worth it.

What yeast strains are you using? All yeast produce slightly different byproducts during their active growth phase. That may be "good" or "bad", but it most certainly will be different.

I recently tasted a hefe that was purposely underpitched like that to achieve a dominant banana flavor without the off flavors you might get from just raising the temp to encourage growth. It wasn't my thing, but it was a "good" beer. Everything else was very controlled and restrained and the overstressed yeast became the star.

Did you check to see what this guy has to say about pitching one pack into 13 gallons of beer? Last time I checked he was considered pretty knowledgable about all things yeast, but whatta I know, earlier today one of our fellow members informed be that sanitation wasn't necessary because monks didn't use star san in the middle ages. :confused:

Just because you get air lock activity does not mean it's doing it's best. Think of it like a race car running on just 7 of 8 cylinders. Just because it's on the track, making laps does not mean it is racing. With out a doubt, you pitch any amount of yeast in to a big tank of sugar water, it will start working. That does not mean it is working well.

Back