Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > For Sale > For Sale - Wanted: Morebeer 7 gal heated/cooled conical v1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
forceten
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default For Sale - Wanted: Morebeer 7 gal heated/cooled conical v1 (or 12gal)

I'm in the market for a Morebeer 7 gallon heated and cooled jacketed fermenter - the first version is fine. I need a backup fermenter for the occasional experimental batch to complement my 12gal heated and cooled fermenter which I use for my main batches.

I'd also consider a 12gal h/c if the price was right.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
forceten

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Note that I'm specifically interested in the unit with the jacket and the heating and cooling elements (including the Ranco controller included with the unit).

Old 03-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
forceten

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Bump

Old 04-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Veritas
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hey forceten,

I promise not to hijack your thread, but I am seriously considering buying a 14 gallon morebeer heated/cooled conical. How are you liking yours? Any issues? How many degrees below ambient are you getting?

Thanks!

"He was a wise man who invented beer..."
-Plato

Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
mors
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 96

they are 10% off at Morebeer for the month of April...

Old 04-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #6
Veritas
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

yes, mors, they are. That makes it all the more tempting. I'm really curious about how well they work from someone who uses one. Any feedback?

"He was a wise man who invented beer..."
-Plato

Old 04-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
forceten

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I was looking to get one for a few hundred. The pricing at Morebeer is weird; the 5gal batch one is only $100 less than the 10gal batch one. How bizarre is that? I know some of the elements are the same but you'd think there'd be more space in the pricing.

Veritas - they're great. They're well constructed, they're real conicals, and the temperature works well. You can heat it up quite a bit (I've never had to go more than a handful of degrees to be honest) and the cooling does about 30 degrees from ambient (warning: You have to fill the thing up as the fans are near the top of the fermenter. If you don't, you risk ice building up and having it be less effective.)

I highly recommend them -- they're the absolute best home fermentation solutions outside of a non jacketed steel fermenter inside a fridge customized with a temperature controller but those usually do not heat. What the average homebrewer doesn't realize is that temperature control is paramount and even a couple degrees can make a significant difference in the finished product. Ultimate control is important.

You won't be sorry. I want a second one because they're so good and because fermenting in corny kegs is not that good.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
mors
Recipes 

Issue with the morebeer 14 vs the 7.... you cannot ferment a 5 gallon batch with heating/cooling in the 14 gallon one. The peltier plates are mounted too high. So if you brew 5 gallon batches you need the 7 not the 14. With other methods of controlling temp in the conical you could always do a 5 gallon batch in a 14 gallon fermenter. That's why I went with upright freezer + stout conical.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
forceten

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

That is definitely a negative - the batch sizes are fixed; you can't do smaller batches. Which is why I balk at paying for the 7 gal (5-6 gal batch) FV due to its cost.

If I could have an enclosure that isn't appreciably larger than the conical and did both heating and cooling (and quickly enough), I'd go that route, but I'm not aware of anyone doing the heating element.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
mors
Recipes 

You don't need a heating element. You use an upright freezer for the cooling and a heat wrap for the heating. It would use the same kind of temp controller (or even the exact same temp controller as the morebeer one). http://morebeer.com/view_product/16674//The_FermWrap_Heater

The downside to this route is obviously space (the size of the freezer). It is however more efficient that a peltier and you can bring the temp down as far as you want. You could even freeze it if you wanted to make an eisbock or something. As with everything in life...there are advantages and disadvantages to both

My 14.5 gallon stout conical + freezer + heat wrap + temp controller was around $1100 total. Would have been cheaper if I got a used freezer...instead I paid $400 for a new one.

Quick Reply