Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > For Sale > For Sale - sankeys/corneys/brew magic/600 lbs grain (?!) craigslist find

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Brewer View Post
Reading a little about the Lost River Brewery...Only open 6 months and they want out? I wonder what happened???
As per their comments on Facebook, they were trying to do the brewpub as a side gig, keeping the main careers. Don't see how you could possibly run a commercial operation without that being your full-time profession. Best-case, you'd be doing a half-ass job. Makes me wonder if the costs just got to be too much, I mean - if you and your wife are both working 40 hours elsewhere, that's 80 hours at the pub that you've got to be paying someone else.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's a shame - Looking through their FB photos, they built the bar from an empty building! Restaurant, kitchen, brewery... That's a lot of work to walk from in 6 months!

OTOH - How on earth could they keep a brew pub supplied with beer with just a pilot system and a couple Ferminators??? It would take a double batch just to load one fermenter - And I wouldn't think a pipeline would be very easy to establish, let alone maintain...

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 08-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Yeah, I don't think it's feasible to go commercial unless you're going to be doing at least 5BBL batches. That's what our local brewpub (now closed for other reasons) was doing. Otherwise, BEST-case you're basically going to be a bar with nine "guest" beers for every one of your own that you can keep on draft.

Maybe they could have kept the place going if they had a real system... but if you're having to brew every night AND working your regular gig, yeah, that's not going to last more than a few months.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 08-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #14
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSounds View Post
It's a shame - Looking through their FB photos, they built the bar from an empty building! Restaurant, kitchen, brewery... That's a lot of work to walk from in 6 months!

OTOH - How on earth could they keep a brew pub supplied with beer with just a pilot system and a couple Ferminators??? It would take a double batch just to load one fermenter - And I wouldn't think a pipeline would be very easy to establish, let alone maintain...
From driving through that area to go hiking in GW National Forest I can tell you it is a very small, rural town and there isn't anything within a one hour drive in any direction.

According to Wikipedia, Wardensville has a total population of 246 people & median income for a household is $28,864. Not a commercially viable situation any way you slice it...

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 08-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #15
SweetSounds
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
From driving through that area to go hiking in GW National Forest I can tell you it is a very small, rural town and there isn't anything within a one hour drive in any direction.

According to Wikipedia, Wardensville has a total population of 246 people & median income for a household is $28,864. Not a commercially viable situation any way you slice it...
Wow - Not much of a crowd to serve...

But seriously - I can't keep a pipeline for myself with a 10 gallon system. How the **** do you keep up with a restaurant?!?
Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #16
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Well, it's a half-barrel system, so 21 gallons....

Point remains, that's just not viable. They should have asked our opinions before spending all that money! I've been to other breweries where I suspect they're using undersized equipment (one I'm thinking of in particular in the Finger Lakes), and it was pretty obvious in the flavor (my wife picked up on this without provocation) that they were serving all of their beers WAY too young.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #17
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSounds View Post
Wow - Not much of a crowd to serve...

But seriously - I can't keep a pipeline for myself with a 10 gallon system. How the **** do you keep up with a restaurant?!?
The more that I think about it, and not to pile on these folks, but I just don't see how they could have enough demand for even a pilot system in this area.

I remember the town having two stores: a 7-11 and the unforgettably named "P-Nut's Car Audio & Bait".

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 08-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #18
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Cripes, that sounds like something out of Trailer Park Boys....

Old 08-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #19
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 21

expensive for buying as a group but man it would be nice to have.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:51 PM   #20
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Well, it's a half-barrel system, so 21 gallons....

Quick Reply