• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB - Pin or Firkin (cask ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mors

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a PIN or Firkin. I know northernbrewer sells them...but that's too rich for my blood.... PM me if you have one and are willing to sell it. Thanks.

I don't have one to sell,:off: but picked up a couple of Hoff Stevens 7.5 gallon kegs that I was going to convert into casks. I tried to search a bunch about this but didn't have much luck.

I was going to drill and weld a 1/2" fitting to install a ball valve. The idea is that i would make it gravity fed with a bleeder valve on the top near the bunghole. Thought is that I can make it functional like a cask/firkin, but without the authenticity and messiness of trying to bang a tap in it every time. It will also keep the cost down as all I would need to buy is the wooden bungs.

yeah I briefly considered something similar...but then I was checking out my buddies firkin and there is just something about it being legit that adds to the appeal.... ;-)

As far as I know Hoff Stevens do not require conversion. You just use a CO2 breather and tap it is as normal and pull the beer out using the pump. However if you're talking about gravity fed then that's a whole other story.

I was considering using the hoff steven just the way it was designed for cask conditioned beer, but then my corny's would be easier to use in this setup. I am looking at the gravity fed design. Thanks.

Yeah I wasn't planning on getting a beer engine... Remember I'm cheap... ;-)

Right now it's looking like I will be 'stuck' with Northern Brewer, ukbrewing.com, or perhaps ordering directly from Geemacher...none are very appealing options. I have a few feelers out to some local breweries that serve alot of cask ales....

I've heard of several people using those little 5L mini kegs for cask ales: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/mini-keg.html

They generally have a gravity tap on the bottom, and the benefit is that at only 5L, you have a fighting chance of finishing it before the oxidation crosses from "interesting real ale" to stale crap. And of course, they're compatible with the party star taps if you want to dispense with C02 after all...

I purchased the cask kit from NB and it's awesome. Has everything you need and is built like a tank. It's worth the $$ if your looking for cask ale at home.

Back