Originally Posted by alowell
How would you fill these?
I have a full one so I haven't tried yet. Here are the options as I understand them:
1) Get a prescription and have it filled by a medical supplier
2) Get the valve swapped to a welding valve ($20+) and then it can be filled at a welding gas supplier (I would double check with the supplier before buying the tank. May be cheaper just to get a welding tank.)
3) Talk someone at a welding or medical gas supplier into filling it (pretty unlikely form what I've heard)
4) Talk firemen or paramedics into filling it
5) Try to find an aviation O2 supplier that will fill it (I think this may also take a different valve)
Overall, my understanding is that the gas is the same everywhere (medical, welding, aviation). The difference is the valve. Medical tanks require a prescription to be filled under normal circumstances.