The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > For Sale > For Sale - Looking for someone with a 1-1/4" punch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Default For Sale - Looking for someone with a 1-1/4" punch

Hello,

I'm looking to make a sealable junction box for a heating element, and part of that involves getting a nice, clean 1.25" punch made in a blank steel cover plate. (See description here: http://theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements?page=3). I suppose I could buy the punch myself, but it seems like a waste when I only need a couple of holes cut.

If you've got a standard 1-1/4" punch like this one, would you be willing to cut through three junction box covers for me? In the interest of making this as easy as possible, I'd sent you the plates along with a postage-stamped mailer addressed to me, and of course I'd be happy to compensate you for your time.

Thanks!
-MalFet

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 651 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to make a sealable junction box for a heating element, and part of that involves getting a nice, clean 1.25" punch made in a blank steel cover plate. (See description here: http://theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements?page=3). I suppose I could buy the punch myself, but it seems like a waste when I only need a couple of holes cut.

If you've got a standard 1-1/4" punch like this one, would you be willing to cut through three junction box covers for me? In the interest of making this as easy as possible, I'd sent you the plates along with a postage-stamped mailer addressed to me, and of course I'd be happy to compensate you for your time.

Thanks!
-MalFet
Green Lee is the top of the line for electrical stuff. I am thinking you could get one much cheaper than that going to Harbor Freight and buy a set of them. And if you are going to only use it for a couple of holes they will work very well for you

Or buy a hole saw and file any burrs left over. Not sure if uni bits will go that big but that might be another alternative

I would knock them out for you but I am moving and all my tools are in a shipping container. Yes my life sucks about right now

Last edited by Varmintman; 04-02-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: stoopidness

Old 04-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
wagz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Will those cheap ones form Harbor Freight punch holes to make a keggle? or are they to cheap?

Old 04-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You're looking for a 1.362" hole right? Contact me through brewhardware.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post
Will those cheap ones form Harbor Freight punch holes to make a keggle? or are they to cheap?
So many reports of the threads on the draw studs stripping out on the first use.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
aquenne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I was able to drill 2 elements holes with 1 1-3/8" HF step drill bit. I wouldnt be able to do a 3rd tho.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
You're looking for a 1.362" hole right? Contact me through brewhardware.
Hmm...Good question. It's a standard water heater element that I intend to screw into a 1" npt female bushing (I've got both now). I'd like to seat a junction box cover between the two so that I can seal the electricals away. I was going off of kal's recommendation for 1.25", but google tells me that nominal 1" NPT is actually 1.315" wide. So, presumably, 1.362" would be about right, no?

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Yeah, the 1" knockout punch makes sense.

New Stuff?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #9
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used a 1 1/4 radio/chassis punch , just like Kal recommanded and the plates are snug as a bug. I used a punch from Eastwood Company(~20$). Those plates are uber thin metal. The punch goes right through it. Now for the actual box, that is thick and you want something larger than the threads on the element. I used a 2" hole saw and a drill press. It worked great. I could let you use mine if you want. I let some one else borrow them and I was able to fit them in a flat rate 5 usps box. I also have a 9/16 punch if you want to borrow.

I followed Kals design and it seals great. A dual gang box with a water tight cover on one side. Then cut the back out of the box with a hole saw. Use JB Weld and "glue" another water tight cover to the side with the hole you just cut. Then knock out the 1.25 hole in the plate you glued). Insert element, oring, screw into welded on half coupler or use a weldless fitting.

My hop stopper

Old 04-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #10
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Any reason you couldn't use the 1.362" stepbit for kettle hole + box-cover hole and be fine? Seems like people say the step-bit holes are perfect size too.

Quick Reply