Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > For Sale > For Sale - Looking for 8/10 Gal Brew Kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
USMCYoder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default For Sale - Looking for 8/10 Gal Brew Kettle

So now that I am getting into mashes and a bigger boil, I am looking for a bigger brew kettle. Was thinking about getting an 8 Gal Megapot or a 10 Gal BoilerMaker. Just wanted to see if anyone was selling anything similar before I go pick one up. Figure if I can save some bucks and help out a fellow HBT member.

Secondary:Air
Drinking/Drank: Pale Ale, Sweet Saison x3, Chocolate Milk Stout, Maple Porter, Hoppy Belgian IPA, Belgian Wit, Blood Orange Wit(3rd NHC), Belgian Quad x2

My Keezer Build aka "The Monstrosity"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I don't know if this would apply to you but, if you have a Sam's club membership you can buy a big aluminum pot from them for a great price. I just had one shipped to my house 10 gallon with a lid for about 45 dollars (shipped). It is not the thin cheap turkey fryer pot but a significantly thick pot. It is light and heats up fast.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=102996&variance=40+qt.

you can get a 15 gallon for 43 dollars ( not shipped though)

Old 11-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Elshauno
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I have a 10 gallon Megapot. It is an awesome pot but you can get the exact pot without the fancy Megapot logo for much less. The MegaPot is made by Update International. http://www.instawares.com/stainless-steel-stock-pot-sps-40.upi-sps40.0.7.htm You will want at least a 10 gallon if you ever decide to go to all grain. Bigger is always better You should also look at the stuff Jaybird has for sale since he is a vendor on here. Good Luck either way

Old 11-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
EFaden
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am also looking for something in the same realm.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
USMCYoder
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yea, I don't necessarily care about name brand as long as it is quality. I do like how they have the ball valve and thermo on the outside, just makes life a lot easier. And it does get easier with the false bottom since I know I will be taking the next step soon enough.

Drinking/Drank: Pale Ale, Sweet Saison x3, Chocolate Milk Stout, Maple Porter, Hoppy Belgian IPA, Belgian Wit, Blood Orange Wit(3rd NHC), Belgian Quad x2

Old 11-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I would advise to go ahead and get something BIGGER because the last thing you want is to get settled into a pot and decide to step up in batch size and have to sell it and start over.

I got a Bayou Classic stock pot that was about nine gallons. After only three five-gallon brews, I got really comfortable with process and decided to do eight gallon batches and ferment in 10 gallon corny kegs. Well, it is possible to do eight gallons in a nine gallon pot, but not very safe. So I sold my pot to someone intending to convert a keg into a boil pot. By then, of course, I had spent more than I was keeping track of and didn't really recoup my initial investment in the very nice kettle I started with. So I had to sell the keg to make some money back and now I'm not brewing because I've got nothing to brew in and a spending category in the red.

I said, "I'll never need to go bigger than five gallons". Now I can't even brew that.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
USMCYoder
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
I would advise to go ahead and get something BIGGER because the last thing you want is to get settled into a pot and decide to step up in batch size and have to sell it and start over.

I said, "I'll never need to go bigger than five gallons". Now I can't even brew that.
Yea, that is what I did. I first purchased a 6 Gal when I started doing extract batches. After that I did a couple of Partial Mashes and used my friends pot to do a 6.5 Gal boil. I feel as if I am going to get the 10 Gal as a better investment.

Quick Reply