New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > For Sale > For Sale - Immersion chiller and pre-chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Lost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default For Sale - Immersion chiller and pre-chiller

So I need to move up to larger tubing for my eherms system and plan on using my herms coil as a chiller as well so I no longer need my old immersion chiller. I'm selling this to raise money for the new rig.

I'll ship but you pay shipping. Or pick it up local, I'm in Tampa.

I'm thinking $40 for the set (which is dirt cheap IMO) and I'd prefer to sell them together to save me the hassle of shipping twice. If you want it, I'll even throw in a 3/8" OD compression to MIP fitting, some extra ferrules, compression nuts, and soft tube inserts. I don't have a use for them since I'm ridding myself of 3/8" tubing. I actually have a 1/4" compression union and some other 1/4" fittings I could throw in too if you have a use for them.

You can see the picasa album at https://picasaweb.google.com/106916391626013982002/ImmersionChiller

I did a terrible job coiling the long one, I know, but it works just fine. I rediscovered the the smaller one when moving and planned lately to use it as a prechiller but haven't got around to putting the fittings on. It's all made from 3/8" inch soft copper tubing from Lowes.

I made them so long ago I honestly don't remember how long they are. My guess is that the larger one is about 40 or 50 feet (40 seems about right by measuring it but since rolls are sold in 50ft lengths I don't know). The smaller one looks to be about 15-20 ft. Again, I'm not sure if it's a full 20 feet. I may have used some off one or the other or both to run a propane line to my burners. I definitely did a better job with the shorter coil which is funny since I think I made that one before the other one.

The long one gets used routinely and works great. It's got a brass hose fitting on one end and I clamp a vinyl hose on the other. It does not leak. The small one I can't remember ever even using it although maybe I did when doing extract. It's been so long ago I just can't remember. The small one has no fittings but somehow has a compression ferrule on one end (no nut).

The long one I doubled over and ran the coil back up through the middle. It has a very slight kink at the bottom from this but it still works just fine. You could remedy it with an elbow compression/solder fitting but it's not necessary. It flows fantastically under hose pressure - spray unsuspecting bystanders or ant hills with boiling hot water from several feet away!

The small one has a slight kink at the end with the compression ferrule. You could just cut all that off and sacrifice about 6 inches or so. Or not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Can you give me a shipping estimate to 27408? I'll take it pending shipping price.

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
bitmask
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That is truly a remarkably ugly chiller. No wonder you have chosen to forget the details of creating them

Seems like a decent deal for someone who isn't hung up on looks. It's all about personality afterall, right? Good luck selling it.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Well, shipping may be a problem. I looked at fedex, USPS, and greyhound (the bus). My best guess is it will squeeze in a box that is 2ft tall by 20" square. Fedex is $32 and Greyhound is about the same.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitmask View Post
That is truly a remarkably ugly chiller. No wonder you have chosen to forget the details of creating them

Seems like a decent deal for someone who isn't hung up on looks. It's all about personality afterall, right? Good luck selling it.

Yeah, it is pretty terrible but it does work. I bet I was drinking when I coiled it

Hey, you should see the jagged off-round hole in the top of my keggle. Now it's pretty ghetto! One day I'll clean up the edges and maybe even do some polishing with that angle grinder.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Well, shipping may be a problem. I looked at fedex, USPS, and greyhound (the bus). My best guess is it will squeeze in a box that is 2ft tall by 20" square. Fedex is $32 and Greyhound is about the same.
Ouch! Hmm. Let me mull it over. If someone else wants to jump on it that's fine by me.

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBrewer View Post
Ouch! Hmm. Let me mull it over. If someone else wants to jump on it that's fine by me.
Yeah, I don't blame you. You could buy 50ft for about that or not much more and coil it yourself and not have my ghetto fabulous one. I may have to sell it locally, craigslist here I come.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
davebridget
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
So I need to move up to larger tubing for my eherms system and plan on using my herms coil as a chiller as well so I no longer need my old immersion chiller. I'm selling this to raise money for the new rig.

I'll ship but you pay shipping. Or pick it up local, I'm in Tampa.

I'm thinking $40 for the set (which is dirt cheap IMO) and I'd prefer to sell them together to save me the hassle of shipping twice. If you want it, I'll even throw in a 3/8" OD compression to MIP fitting, some extra ferrules, compression nuts, and soft tube inserts. I don't have a use for them since I'm ridding myself of 3/8" tubing. I actually have a 1/4" compression union and some other 1/4" fittings I could throw in too if you have a use for them.

You can see the picasa album at https://picasaweb.google.com/106916391626013982002/ImmersionChiller

I did a terrible job coiling the long one, I know, but it works just fine. I rediscovered the the smaller one when moving and planned lately to use it as a prechiller but haven't got around to putting the fittings on. It's all made from 3/8" inch soft copper tubing from Lowes.

I made them so long ago I honestly don't remember how long they are. My guess is that the larger one is about 40 or 50 feet (40 seems about right by measuring it but since rolls are sold in 50ft lengths I don't know). The smaller one looks to be about 15-20 ft. Again, I'm not sure if it's a full 20 feet. I may have used some off one or the other or both to run a propane line to my burners. I definitely did a better job with the shorter coil which is funny since I think I made that one before the other one.

The long one gets used routinely and works great. It's got a brass hose fitting on one end and I clamp a vinyl hose on the other. It does not leak. The small one I can't remember ever even using it although maybe I did when doing extract. It's been so long ago I just can't remember. The small one has no fittings but somehow has a compression ferrule on one end (no nut).

The long one I doubled over and ran the coil back up through the middle. It has a very slight kink at the bottom from this but it still works just fine. You could remedy it with an elbow compression/solder fitting but it's not necessary. It flows fantastically under hose pressure - spray unsuspecting bystanders or ant hills with boiling hot water from several feet away!

The small one has a slight kink at the end with the compression ferrule. You could just cut all that off and sacrifice about 6 inches or so. Or not.
I am interested and live locally. Can you PM me with contact information?

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
Seanwallner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Guess again. 1/2in soft copper is 2 bucks a foot right now. That's 100 for 50 ft. I just made one Tuesday but my family owns a plumbing company so it was a little less

PENITENT BREWING
STANWOOD,WA

" You have been drinking bad beer, Seek Penance"

Old 10-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanwallner
Guess again. 1/2in soft copper is 2 bucks a foot right now. That's 100 for 50 ft. I just made one Tuesday but my family owns a plumbing company so it was a little less
I just bought 50 of 1/2" for $73 shipped.

Lifetime NRA Membership for $300 - 888-678-7894

Dual Stage Fermentation Chamber Build

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Quick Reply