The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > For Sale > For Sale - DC Groupon deal - 50% off beginners kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Default For Sale - DC Groupon deal - 50% off beginners kit

Groupon deal for a Midwest beginners kit:
http://www.groupon.com/deals/midwest-hydro-dc

"for $64, you get a brewing essentials equipment kit (a $56.95 value), a steel bottle opener (a $14.95 value), your choice of either an Irish red ale, an autumn amber ale, or an Irish stout ingredient kit (up to a $25.95 value), an instructional DVD (a $4.95 value), and a $25 gift certificate for your second batch shipped from Midwest Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies (up to a $130.80 total value). A $12 shipping fee is not included in the price of the Groupon"

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That's a damn good deal. The kit and gift certificate alone are worth $50.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 03-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
JetSmooth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Yeah, that's not the deal I get.

I hate Groupon.

Edit: Ahhh, found it. I still hate Groupon.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
lebshiff21
Recipes 

Do you have to be a DC local for this to work? I know nothing about groupon.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wow...great deal.

Unfortunately, I don't like taking advantage of groupon because of how much these business owners lose.

Before I knew the details of groupon, I loved it. I know the owner of a local craft beer store. He has some of the best beers in the area. He did a $50GC for $25. I obviously bought one. When I went to redeem it, I talked to him and found out he lost over $25k just from selling 750 tickets.

He said that groupon takes something like 40% of whatever you charge. So they were taking $10 and he was only making $15. He was losing $35 for every one sold. Now...I'm sure he didn't lose that much real money since there's obviously a markup, but I'm sure he lost at least half of the $25k.

I don't like doing that to local businesses. Big box stores...bring it on.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 03-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
justtaint
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
Wow...great deal.

Unfortunately, I don't like taking advantage of groupon because of how much these business owners lose.

Before I knew the details of groupon, I loved it. I know the owner of a local craft beer store. He has some of the best beers in the area. He did a $50GC for $25. I obviously bought one. When I went to redeem it, I talked to him and found out he lost over $25k just from selling 750 tickets.

He said that groupon takes something like 40% of whatever you charge. So they were taking $10 and he was only making $15. He was losing $35 for every one sold. Now...I'm sure he didn't lose that much real money since there's obviously a markup, but I'm sure he lost at least half of the $25k.

I don't like doing that to local businesses. Big box stores...bring it on.
If he didn't feel that he was going to recoup that $25K in losses with the influx of new, repeat customers he wouldn't have done the Groupon in the first place. These types of sites (Groupon, Living Social, Youswoop, etc) are handy marketing tools, but they do come with certain risks and should be fully investigated to determine if the long term benefit will outweigh the short term losses.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
Fid
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That has always been the benefit I'd seen with Groupon and the others as well... Sure you're not going to make killer profits on what your selling but the whole idea is to introduce yourself to new customers.... Advertising isn't cheap but at least this way the only people you are paying to advertise to are people that are actually going to come sample your goods/services. That being said, If I were to run a Groupon deal I'd do my best to make sure I was either coming close to breaking even on my offer or making sure there was a cap limit on the deal.... I've seen some of those things blow up and have 2,000 some odd people buy them.

Also, I live in Seattle and saw a deal like this (may have been the same one in fact). I was going to tell some friends who are considering getting into brewing about it until I saw that it was from a non-local business...not sure if it was DC but it was definitely East Coast. I'm not too psycho about making sure that I only support local business but I kinda felt that was part of the allure of these deals to me.

Sorry, I know this isn't a business forum but I had to put in my $0.02

Old 03-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
nestorlinks
Recipes 

So I understand the business concerns, but I have to put some kind of faith in the business owner that they knew fully what they were getting into before actually doing it.

But back to lebshiff's question...how does groupon work? Will I run into any issues purchasing this if I'm not DC local?

Old 03-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post

Keep in mind though that the best estimates of the redemption rate of Groupon purchases is 70-80%. So, of those 750 groupons sold, 150-225 will never be redeemed which means he got the money & kept the beer -- pure profit.

Still, a Rice University poll showed that 40% of businesses that used Groupon wouldn't do so again (but 60% would). So it's complicated what the breakeven point is with the new customers brought in factored in.
Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 03-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
justtaint
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestorlinks View Post
So I understand the business concerns, but I have to put some kind of faith in the business owner that they knew fully what they were getting into before actually doing it.

But back to lebshiff's question...how does groupon work? Will I run into any issues purchasing this if I'm not DC local?
Its an online redemption, nothing in the rules that say you have to be local. Basically Groupon will send you a coupon code that you enter into Midwest's website when you're checking out.

Quick Reply