Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > For Sale > For Sale - Complete brewery in MI (CL ad)
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #11
mkringii
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
 
mkringii's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 452
iTrader: (3)
Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts

Default

it is a sink hole thats why there selling it.. i know people have their own opinion about what beer they like.. but i have been there 5 times.. and drank there beer (free only way) at many local events and from the distributor on many many occasions.. and its still pretty terrible.. there's just something in the water.. lol.. they have one good beer and its the english ipa... as far as distribution.. you can only get it in 5 counties.. at less than 50 stores (i know because i know the owner of the company that distributes it) ad they are failing because the "owner" bought his "son" another "failing brewery" in grand rapids called the hideout... so they now own two breweries that have 3 beers between the two of them that are decent at best.. and location.. its in sparta.. 30 minutes from downtown in the middle of apple orchards.. if it was a winery or cider mill.. ok.. but its a half assed brewery.. their "kitchen" is a microwave.. 5 foot prep table.. fridge... and griddle.. its a glorified pull barn!

but other than that yea great deal...

oh yeah the "bottling" portion was purchased used and never works.. they were always out of stock to sell to the distributor because the bottler didnt work.. to go with the "artwork" of just the name and same logo in plain white 6 pack holders.. lol

better off starting from scratch..

__________________

Tap 1: Honey Brown
Tap 2: American Barleywine
Tap 3: BBA Vanilla Chocolate Milk Stout
Tap 4: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 5: Sour Honey Brown
Tap 6: Centennial Blonde

Nitro
Tap 7: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 8: Imperial Pumpkin Pie Stout

Bottled: English Barleywine

Kegged:

Fermenting: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, KBS Clone

mkringii is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
bmason1623
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
bmason1623's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,819
iTrader: (2)
Liked 150 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

Do you know if the building/land is included? That price seems ridiculously high if real estate isn't included. The equipment seems average at best. No, I'm not interested but only curious.

bmason1623 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #13
Zorin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Posts: 129
iTrader: (0)
Liked 12 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkringii
it is a sink hole thats why there selling it.. i know people have their own opinion about what beer they like.. but i have been there 5 times.. and drank there beer (free only way) at many local events and from the distributor on many many occasions.. and its still pretty terrible.. there's just something in the water.. lol.. they have one good beer and its the english ipa... as far as distribution.. you can only get it in 5 counties.. at less than 50 stores (i know because i know the owner of the company that distributes it) ad they are failing because the "owner" bought his "son" another "failing brewery" in grand rapids called the hideout... so they now own two breweries that have 3 beers between the two of them that are decent at best.. and location.. its in sparta.. 30 minutes from downtown in the middle of apple orchards.. if it was a winery or cider mill.. ok.. but its a half assed brewery.. their "kitchen" is a microwave.. 5 foot prep table.. fridge... and griddle.. its a glorified pull barn!

but other than that yea great deal...

oh yeah the "bottling" portion was purchased used and never works.. they were always out of stock to sell to the distributor because the bottler didnt work.. to go with the "artwork" of just the name and same logo in plain white 6 pack holders.. lol

better off starting from scratch..
I agree, if you go in without a game plan you are doomed to fail. It's all about location and marketing to what the masses like to drink. Even if the beer was crappy you can usually make up for that with the food, but a microwave kitchen is not going to cut it.
__________________
Zorin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
carltjones
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 152
iTrader: (0)
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

We stopped by on a slow Wednesday afternoon. I'm fairly sure the owner is retiring and it's not just a business decision. It's a simple operation and the beers were solid.

__________________
carltjones is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
Svenhook
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, MI
Posts: 87
iTrader: (1)
Default

Great place. I love it there. No idea why they are selling it. Their beer has been popping up on more shelves in the area recently. Too bad. Hope whoever buys it keeps it running and selling atleast some of the same brews.

__________________
Svenhook is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #16
dudius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Big Rapids, MI
Posts: 524
iTrader: (0)
Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

I've never been there yet, I've never stopped in Sparta though I go to Grand Rapids quite often. My parents have been there and enjoyed the beer and spirits, but my dad pointed out that they have more of a cafeteria than a kitchen. I think if it were in a better location it would make for a decent brewpub. But my idea is that anyone who isn't already close to it wouldn't stop in Sparta while traveling. I think Founder's is less than half an hour's drive and there are several other brewpubs in Grand Rapids. I would think one's best hopes for growth in Sparta would be to up production on beer and spirits and distribute it across the state.

__________________
dudius is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 04:52 AM   #17
Helly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Helly's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ravenna, Mi
Posts: 376
iTrader: (0)
Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

We just went Friday. My wife and I talked about it and came to some of the same conclusions. While i really like a couple of their beers, others are just so-so. The building and location leave a lot to be desired. There is no kitchen really. Someone with a vision could take this somewhere but it's not a turnkey slam dunk as the ad states. I haven't seen the brewery end or the equipment but my impression is it's low volume. I hope it stays open with a new owner though because this is like 15 minutes from our house.

__________________
Helly is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
Effingbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 246
iTrader: (0)
Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

Default

Thing is, if every beer they made won a gold medal at GABF, I still can't think of a good reason to go to Sparta.

__________________
Effingbeer is offline
dudius Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
tszetela
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tszetela's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Not Close Enough to Ann Arbor!, Michigan
Posts: 80
iTrader: (0)
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effingbeer View Post
Thing is, if every beer they made won a gold medal at GABF, I still can't think of a good reason to go to Sparta.
How about the chance to front kick someone in the chest who orders a MichUltra while yelling "THIS IS SPARTA!!
__________________
tszetela is online now
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #20
crosamich
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Twin Falls, Idaho
Posts: 75
iTrader: (1)
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorin

I agree, if you go in without a game plan you are doomed to fail. It's all about location and marketing to what the masses like to drink. Even if the beer was crappy you can usually make up for that with the food, but a microwave kitchen is not going to cut it.
Hill Farmstead might disagree re: location. However, that is where the marketing comes in...built upon a base of good beer, of course.
__________________
crosamich is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Complete Brewery Equipment BassettWrangler For Sale 25 12-22-2012 12:41 AM
New Brewery Build is Complete jermanimal Brew Stands 22 09-02-2011 05:18 PM
Complete Coopers Brewery IPA Beer Kit C-Rider Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 18 04-03-2011 04:32 AM
For Sale - Complete 10-Gallon Brewery in NC halucin8 For Sale 9 03-29-2010 03:38 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS