Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > For Sale > Illinois 60 gallon Groen steam kettle $375

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #51
JUST_BREW_IT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Two threads selling the same item were merged.
I lowered the price by half but had no way of changing the title of my thread so started a new one

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #52
MaxOut
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUST_BREW_IT View Post
I'm hoping someone can find a use for it. Otherwise I will be making some serious modifications to it to use as a mash tun
It would not take much to make it a mash tun. I would go that route instead of making it a BK. I recirculate hot water through the jacket on mine to maintain temps during mash. You could also fill the jacket with liquid foam to insulate it and abandon the jacket and use a RIMS tube or HERMS coil. I'm sure Jaybird could make you a false bottom. All you would need is to adapt the drain to your system. I drilled a hole in my lid and added a CamLok to inside and out for recirculation through my HERMS. And welded a 1 ½ “ triclamp to the drain. Get a 55 gallon stainless drum for a BK and you have a cheap 1.5BBL system.

Here's mine -
img_1856.jpg  

Old 03-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #53
JUST_BREW_IT
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOut View Post
It would not take much to make it a mash tun. I would go that route instead of making it a BK. I recirculate hot water through the jacket on mine to maintain temps during mash. You could also fill the jacket with liquid foam to insulate it and abandon the jacket and use a RIMS tube or HERMS coil. I'm sure Jaybird could make you a false bottom. All you would need is to adapt the drain to your system. I drilled a hole in my lid and added a CamLok to inside and out for recirculation through my HERMS. And welded a 1 ½ “ triclamp to the drain. Get a 55 gallon stainless drum for a BK and you have a cheap 1.5BBL system.

Here's mine -
awesome!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #54
LyonsAudio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Could you not just use the water jacket to maintain/adjust the mash temps? Where I am at there are more than one or two outdoor boilers with a few extra circuits to pull 180+ degree water off of. I am just wondering why to bother with HERMS at all with such a kettle.

I use a simular setup for making cheese using 180 degree water to heat the milk. Figured the same setup could be used for mashing.

Perhaps this discussion should take place elsewhere though.

Quick Reply