*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > For Sale > For Sale - 1 BBL (32 gallon) tippy dump mash tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #21
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 992 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb85 View Post
Unrelated to the sale of this. Do you think it would be possible to design a false bottom like that for a cooler mash tun? I'm on my phone and couldn't link to DM you from the post.
Probably, but I don't have a one-off-cut kind of relationship with the shop that waterjets my false bottoms. I have 4 or 5 full sheets cut in a run. I've been working on a standard one for a 10 gallon round, but the grid stand and wiper gasket really adds a lot of cost. I don't know if the market will support the price because of the cheap domed units available.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
mattyb85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M

Probably, but I don't have a one-off-cut kind of relationship with the shop that waterjets my false bottoms. I have 4 or 5 full sheets cut in a run. I've been working on a standard one for a 10 gallon round, but the grid stand and wiper gasket really adds a lot of cost. I don't know if the market will support the price because of the cheap domed units available.
Maybe not however personally I'm almost always willing to spend the money for great quality. The wiper blade cost certainly isn't super cheap however it appears it would give an excellent seal.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #23
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

That's a good point. I suppose it doesn't hurt to run a full sheet and see what happens. The thing I'm most frustrated with is having to support the FB above the bulkhead. I've spent some time trying to figure out how to orient it slightly off the bottom and have a diptube drop down through it, but it's not something that can be easily removed.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #24
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
That's a good point. I suppose it doesn't hurt to run a full sheet and see what happens. The thing I'm most frustrated with is having to support the FB above the bulkhead. I've spent some time trying to figure out how to orient it slightly off the bottom and have a diptube drop down through it, but it's not something that can be easily removed.
I agree. However for fly spargers in the cooler isnt an even flow the most important to achieve a high efficiency? i would rather have a higher deadspace and get a higher efficiency than have it below the bulkhead. that being said if thay is a desire maybe follow the blichmann example with the diptube? They have a oval shaped opening that the diptube gets placed into with a washer on the dip tube then you slide the diptube and false bottom into place at the straight down orientation. The washer covers the additional oval space.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #25
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

More pics in its current state:

Here's a basic shot of the whole pot:

Hard to see, but here's the 1" NPT spud silver soldered into the front bottom edge:

This inside shot shows what the 1/2" spud with thermometer looks like, as well as the bottom drain and 2" tall grid stand for the false bottom:

This is a shot of the false bottom with the new silicone wiper gasket attached and also the pull ring:

This is a shot of the FB installed, but it's an older shot prior to changing to the better gasket variety:

Old 08-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #26
Garabrew
Recipes 

Do you still have this Mash tun for sale?

Old 08-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #27
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Sorry, sold.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply