The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Zero carb beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
Alchemy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Someone check my math. I get 76.5 calories from ethanol.

330ml * 0.042 ABV * 7kcal/gram * 0.789 grams/ml = 76.55 kcal

So that means about 11 calories are coming from...what, exactly?
If that 11 remaining calories is indeed carbs that would make it almost 3 grams of carbs....not carb free at all.

If they are saying 0 carbs when it really is 3 they are going to be in some trouble.
Bottled Bog Monster Cranberry Grape Melomel, Grape Burn and Pillage Pyment
Kegged A Dark Ale w/No Name, Tosh's Cinnamon Challenge Cider, Carabou Slobber

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I'm seeing figures of maybe 1/2 to 2 grams of protein in beer per 12 fl oz, so that would add maybe 2 to 8 calories.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
Alchemy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
I'm seeing figures of maybe 1/2 to 2 grams of protein in beer per 12 fl oz, so that would add maybe 2 to 8 calories.
Which could account for the 10-11 difference we are seeing here if that is the case.

If we did a comparison of say mich ultra or some other low carb beer i wonder if we would find a similar amount of calories un accounted for in carbs/ethanol that could be applied to protien.
Bottled Bog Monster Cranberry Grape Melomel, Grape Burn and Pillage Pyment
Kegged A Dark Ale w/No Name, Tosh's Cinnamon Challenge Cider, Carabou Slobber

Old 10-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
porcupine73
Recipes 

That could be, I was using this page as a reference: http://beer.about.com/od/beernutriti...utrition_2.htm

Old 10-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
BlackRock
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

As for calories and alcohol content the beer is right on par with all the other low carb beers out there. About 90 calories for a 12oz bottle and low ABV at 4% or so should only yield a few grams of carbs to have to get rid of anyway.

My guess is they are very careful with their wort chemistry and get the yeast to eat up most of the sugars creating a "low carb" beer like all the others out there then distill the left over carbs somehow from the beer. Maybe they freeze distill it or something.

Either way, I'm going to pass on this one. Low carb beer? Come on... You want no carbs then drink some water.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #16
Whippy
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 108

If they ever sell this in the States, I'll try it. I have been wanting to go back on the low carb diet for a while to lose some weight, but am hesitant because I love beer too much and won't do the Michelob seltzer water thing. If the beer has flavor as they claim, I'd be willing to take a month or so hiatus from homebrew for the sake of dropping a few extra pounds.

Two weeks to ferment, two more in the kegs
but in just one night it was drained to the dregs

Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #17
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchurch View Post
Carbs in beer are pretty negligible anyway, so I think they are trying to imply otherwise hoping some people do not realize such a thing.
That's what I was getting at. Zero carbs beer sounds like it may be a marketing gimmick aimed at people who are on a diet or something.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #18
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
If they ever sell this in the States, I'll try it. I have been wanting to go back on the low carb diet for a while to lose some weight, but am hesitant because I love beer too much and won't do the Michelob seltzer water thing. If the beer has flavor as they claim, I'd be willing to take a month or so hiatus from homebrew for the sake of dropping a few extra pounds.
As I understand it the way one loses pounds is to make the caloric output higher than the caloric intake, and that's about it. Carbs are not the big buggaboo. Not getting enough exercise and not practicing portion control are the cause of overweight.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #19
porcupine73
Recipes 

That is simply not true though. It would be interesting if it were as simple as calories in equals calories out. But that is simply not the case. It assumes the body's response to calories in and out is irrespective of how it gets those calories. And that is simply not the case. Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat and What to do About It" is an excellent starting point. What you state about eating too much and not exercising enough is exactly the conventional wisdom on the topic; it's just not the entire truth.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #20
noblebrew
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
hey Whippy here is a primal blue print guy who also homebrews and has had good results with low carb. I am also trying to follow the PB and the only grains I have are derived from my home brew, but I just started and hopefully I can stick with it.

Quick Reply