Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Yuengling now in Georgia

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #31
brewt00l
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWalk View Post
Side note... word has it that a couple of years ago the local Bud salespeople were asking local bars to give out a Bud instead of the Yuengling Lager when people would walk up asking for a "lager". It never happened and that is why whenever you walk into a bar up here and ask for a "lager" your getting Yuengling.
Yeah, good luck with that

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #32
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Lived in PA before moving south. Was glad to see Yuengling here in SC. Lager is ok. cheap... although it recently went up in price. Black and Tan is better. Lager was the only beer my ex-wife liked.

Cant get the Porter or the Chesterfield ale (my Fav.) mix the Chet & Porter in a big mug used to serve those at the Northeast Tap Room in Reading PA. I miss that bar!.... Ahhhh the Memories. Uhhhh or the black outs... LOL.

Premium is the WORST. tastes like dirty, greasy, soapy dishwater... But those old coal crackers up in Pottsville can't get enough of it. seen them sitting around a bar coughing up black lung downing gallons of it.

I'm pretty sure the stuff I'm getting here in SC IS NOT brewed in Pottsvile PA. tastes different than it did back home.

Brewery tour is interesting. built into the side of a mountain.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #33
Danny013
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I know Yuengling gets a bad rap, but I like the stuff for what it is - a great cheap refreshing lager that has more taste than any of the other BMC garbage. Skip the 6'ers, though, every time I get one it's skunked. The 12 pack cans or bottles are the way to go.

The porter is pretty good. I bet if you handed it out in a blind taste test people would think it's some amazing micro or something. Skip the black & tan. Can't speak for the others.

One of the local bars here has $3 liter glasses of Yuengling. Can't beat that!

Most of the SE Yuengling is brewed over in Tampa, btw.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:53 AM   #34
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
They use "corn grits" in probably every style... which tells me they come from a foundation of cost-cutting (which is what makes BMC, BMC) rather than the integrity of beer we homebrewers usually look for. (Not there is anything inherently wrong with using corn.)
Did you do know that when AB and Miller and the like started using corn adjuncts (1870's) it was not to save money but to make a light colored bohemian style lager that appealled to the masses? The cost at that time was higher to use corn instead of malted barley. I am not defending or promoting BMC (hardly), just providing a little history lesson. And for the record, I think at this point it is cheaper to use corn adjuncts even if they could produce the same swill using malted barley, which they can't thus the use of corn in the first place.
If you want to learn more about it, read "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer" by Maureen Ogle. It's an entertaining and enlightening read.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:50 AM   #35
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd View Post
Did you do know that when AB and Miller and the like started using corn adjuncts (1870's) it was not to save money but to make a light colored bohemian style lager that appealled to the masses? The cost at that time was higher to use corn instead of malted barley. I am not defending or promoting BMC (hardly), just providing a little history lesson. And for the record, I think at this point it is cheaper to use corn adjuncts even if they could produce the same swill using malted barley, which they can't thus the use of corn in the first place.
If you want to learn more about it, read "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer" by Maureen Ogle. It's an entertaining and enlightening read.
Yes, I'm aware of the earlier use of adjuncts in Am. brewing, but current BMC recipes were developed after prohibition and the fact that corn and rice are cheaper than barley has a lot to do with why they're used. As far as Yuengling goes, I'm pretty sure all but the Porter and Chesterfield Ale are post-prohibition beers as well (and even they've probably had recipe changes to include the use of "corn grits"). And trust me, if the cost of today's adjuncts (corn, rice, etc.) somehow surpassed the cost of barley, I'm sure we'd be seeing marketing campaigns from BMC for new lines of beer with all barley.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 11-07-2008, 03:01 PM   #36
Throckmorton
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny013 View Post
I know Yuengling gets a bad rap, but I like the stuff for what it is - a great cheap refreshing lager that has more taste than any of the other BMC garbage.
I agree... which is why we always bought it on vaca when heading to the beach in Florida. Good hot weather beer. Unfortunately, it's a bit more pricey in GA.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #37
Jamo99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A case of 16 oz yuengling cans here is $22. After a few homebrews/micros, it is the workhorse for a day of football watching.

Quick Reply