Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Your LHBS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
mcwilcr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I have two homebrew shops within a 15 min. drive from me and both of them seem to be helpful in their own way. One of the shops is a bit high on the pricing of their stuff but I always go there for little odds and ends type stuff because they will likely have it. The other shop is a bit better on pricing but can be hit or miss on ingredients, typically parts and hops are their weaknesses. Both shops are generally helpful but the second has two polar opposite sides. One of the employees is so helpful if you need it but even if you don't, he will talk your ear off for a minimum of a half hour for even the shortest intended visits. The other guy on the other hand is helpful but only if you can look past the douchebaggery that he cant seem to help but give off when you ask him even the simplest of questions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 5

We only have one in town and while eager to help not very knowlegable. And they don't carry Wyeast, only WL. One plus is they are open 7 days a week.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufessor View Post
My LHBS is great, but I have been in other local stores that are as you describe. Never understood how someone could run a business and not recognize that being an A-hole is not a good strategy. Any time I run into that attitude, I am "one-and-done" with that store/business/bar, etc.
If you ever work in corporate America you quickly see its the a-holes who seem to get promoted, so perhaps it is a good strategy.

As far as the couple I frequent, one is overpriced but for that you get helpful staff and a solid selection of oddball yeasts and sacks of continental malts. The other has a poor selection in comparison, but has excellent bulk grain prices and help that is always willing, just not always able.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #14
UTPhish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
About a year ago a new LHBS opened up in my area. I didn't hate the much more established store that I had been going to, but there were a few occasions where the employee would act annoyed when I didn't know where they kept things or how certain help-yourself stuff (like their grain mill) worked. Since going to the new store I haven't been back to the old one. 90% of the time the guy working is the owner and he's a nice guy who has been great about answering questions and is very helpful with ingredients and substitution suggestions.
I completely agree with you. There is only one person who works at the more established shop that is actually willing to help without having a "why are you bothering me" type of attitude. My home is closer to this shop, but I will go out of my way to support the new shop because they are extremely helpful and friendly.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
HopKeller
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

There are now two in my area- the original "Blockader" is great, the guy who runs it can be a bit opinionated, but he knows his stuff and is always willing to help. The new shop was opened by the same folks who run a couple of outstanding bottle shops in town, problem is their emloyees don't know much about home brewing - which is bit problematic.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #16
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

There are two stores I use.

One has an incredible team that love to help in anyway they can, but they are overpriced on just about everything.

The other has the cheapest bulk grain prices around but are extremely condescending and the way they act towards me (and a few others I have talked to) seem to pretty much not want customers. It is strange because they host one of the larger Brew Clubs in WA.

I'm usually pretty broke but other than buying grain my money will ALWAYS go to the more expensive store simply for their great service and friendly atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPhish View Post
I completely agree with you. There is only one person who works at the more established shop that is actually willing to help without having a "why are you bothering me" type of attitude. My home is closer to this shop, but I will go out of my way to support the new shop because they are extremely helpful and friendly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
About a year ago a new LHBS opened up in my area. I didn't hate the much more established store that I had been going to, but there were a few occasions where the employee would act annoyed when I didn't know where they kept things or how certain help-yourself stuff (like their grain mill) worked. Since going to the new store I haven't been back to the old one. 90% of the time the guy working is the owner and he's a nice guy who has been great about answering questions and is very helpful with ingredients and substitution suggestions.
Would either of you mind PMing me the name of the good store? I ask because I may be moving to the SLC area this year.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #17
Darkness
Local's Need's Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I have the best LHBS in the midwest. "The Homebrewery" it is advertised in all the brew mags and they have great kits of yours what you brew. Also grain and anything for wine,beer and Cheese. The guys and Gals are all great it has been open since 1982. The only place I get my stuff.
Just had them order me hinged false bottoms no fus, they order and call me when it comes in. And a reward point program that gives back. Any one that orders they ship all the time. Give them a chance I'm sure that you will love it as I do.

Why can't every day be a Brew day?

You Stay Classy Brew Nation!!

"He who dies with the most beer didn't drink enough!!"
(that's from me)

Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #18
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface
yup, cody's a good guy
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 07-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #19
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I work part time at my LHBS and love helping new brewers learn and understand the process, tweak recipes, understand different malts and styles. I have also been to a few other stores that suck ass! The people there seem annoyed by questions. So if your in or around Chicago check out Bev-Art!

Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #20
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-ost View Post
Would either of you mind PMing me the name of the good store? I ask because I may be moving to the SLC area this year.
I sent you a PM but I don't have any problem saying that Salt City Brew Supply is my preferred LHBS. http://www.saltcitybrewsupply.com/

Quick Reply