The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Your Diet, Health, and ...Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Trey57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Your Diet, Health, and ...Beer

I'd just like to hear some opinions of other beer lovers on how you all deal with the health effects of beer.

Mainly I've been focusing on diet lately. Like many a human before me, as I aged I found diet affecting my energy levels and moods more and more. In an effort to avoid the worst effects of a hangover I've attempted to eat a healthier diet. But, this is my conundrum: What constitutes a healthy diet? At first I was into a lean meats (chicken breast / tuna) and whole grain diet (bread, whole grain pasta). After watching various diet documentaries on Netflix and reading the book Wheat Belly I'm even more confused. About the only definitive conclusion I can bring out of all of this is that vegetables = good and fruit may be okay. Dairy, meat, grains, soy, oils (olive oils?), sweets, are all either killing me or okay only in dire starvation circumstances depending on whose recommendations.

3x Bier Munchers Centennial Blonde 140 cal x 3 = 420 Calories
Assuming a 2500 calorie / day diet this is 18% of your daily calories from barley. I'm just starting to think that this leaves absolutely no room for any other grains in your diet to stay balanced. No bread, pasta, processed snacks at all.

What all do you guys and gals do and how do you manage your health & love of beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 36

This is one of those topics that could get crazy. My 2 cents is that fat doesn't make you fat, sugar makes you fat, and carbs are sugar. Avoid pasta! Limit your carb intake, eat lean meats/chicken/fish.

having said that, the only way I can drink as much beer as I want and stay fit is to run 25 miles a week, and not everyone is willing or able to do that. But I do recommend it to stay healthy in general.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

I pedal my bicycle great amounts of miles every week, watch my calorie intake, don't eat fast food or packaged food very often (if at all) and aside from that eat what I choose to.

I have gone back and forth between vegetarian and omnivore, I enjoy both and see no real advantage to either in my day to day life. When I am in omnivore mode I tend to make vegetables the focus of the meal and also include meat more as a side dish.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

cheezydemon3 Likes This 
Old 08-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I think the key would be to get moving. Exercise. Its probably the best thing you can do each day. Having said this, I need to get off my ass and workout more.

I try to eat as many whole foods as I can in my diet. By that I mean, I try to buy actual fruits, veggies, meats, etc. and make my meals from those. As opposed to processed and packaged foods. I basically shop around the perimeter of the grocery store and rarely go into the center isles.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski View Post
My 2 cents is that fat doesn't make you fat, sugar makes you fat.
I totally agree.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_hearted View Post
I basically shop around the perimeter of the grocery store and rarely go into the center isles.

Same here

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 08-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 161

For me, I only worry about calories in vs calories out. Right when I started homebrewing and went from only drinking occasionally at home to drinking almost nightly, I lost ~50 lbs (~25% of my weight) over about a year. I did it all by counting calories (using myfitnesspal) and limiting myself to what I needed to lose the weight. Which meant I drastically cut the amount of food I was eating. But I didn't limit what I could eat, but because I was looking at calories more, I was eating less of the calorie dense/non-nutritious things. If I wanted chicken wings for dinner, it meant I only got 6 because I could only eat 500 calories for dinner. Or I could eat a big salad, small grilled chicken and a side of veggies. Sometimes I still went for the wings, but more often I'd go for the bigger volume of better calories.

I've kept it off for over 2 years now and it's just a part of my life now that I watch how many calories I'm eating. I don't even track it now, just sort of mentally in my head know about what I can eat. I'm not actively trying to lose weight. I'm about 16% body fat. I'm pretty sure I could get down lower if I cut out drinking beer (I rarely drink any calories now, except beer), but I'm okay where I am.

So if I were you, I wouldn't worry about all these "fad" diets. Stick to limiting calories to what you should be eating, workout more and try not too drink to *too* much beer. Good luck!

Old 08-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski View Post
My 2 cents is that fat doesn't make you fat, sugar makes you fat, and carbs are sugar. Avoid pasta! Limit your carb intake, eat lean meats/chicken/fish.
Eating more calories than you burn makes you fat. You can make it more complicated by the quality of those calories, but it really can be as simple as that.
People Like This 
Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 668 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Exercise. Eat right. That means fresh meats and produce - none of the frozen-in-a-box crap. Lots of produce.

Take in more calories than you burn? That gets stored as fat. Don't do that.

All things in moderation - that includes beer (don't want a hangover? Don't drink too much) Enjoy a little treat like ice cream, but don't overdo it. Enjoy fatty pork and beef now and then, but not too much or too frequently.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
Malty_Dog
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Great advice in here. No fad diets, eat a balanced healthy diet, regular exercise (walk/run/bike/yoga/P90-X...whatever works for you!).

Also a big one with eating is: watch your portions. My wife is amazed when some of her overweight friends consume massive portions and then wonder why they just can't get the weight off. They also look at her funny when she eats a healthy salad.

I love beer but almost always limit normal weekday intake to 1/day. That's not always easy. Had to talk myself out of having a second last night. Think back on your day, what you consumed, what you burned (exercise), and adjust from there. If I've eaten real healthy and gone running I have no problem having that second beer. I hate hangovers and pretty much refuse to drink that much. Mix water in between beers if you have to.

So many recipes...

Fermenter:
Bottles: ESB, Bee Cave Bavarian Hef, Nick Danger Porter, Yoop's Hoppy Amber, Conan/Mosaic Session IPA

Quick Reply