Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Your Black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale input

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
bdeck02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Your Black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale input

I want to know who thinks they have the best black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale (whatever you want to call it) recipe or key recipe input. Is it one you've formulated, tweaked form a commercial recipe or purchased from an online vendor? I brewed one a while back that was pretty tasty, but lacked the malt complexity I was hoping for. Please share your experiences and recipe ideas. I plan to brew another very soon and want to see what you guys have come up with as a favorite. All ideas and input are very welcome. Complexity in flavor is obviously a must!

For commercial reference, my favs are Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous and Deschutes Hop In The Dark.

Excited to hear your feedback!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
alexmatt86
Recipes 

+1 on the Sublimely.

I just brewed one and it should be ready to go sometime next week but upon taste testing between transfers I found it pretty nice. I agree though it is hard to reach that balance between a nice and balanced roasted malt flavor and still have an aggressive hop profile. Pretty sure my BiPa will be very light on the roast but hopefully once carbonated it will pick up.

What did you use for your malt bill?

Old 06-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
CHefJohnboyardee
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Grand Teton's Trout Hop Black IPA would be worth cloning. I loved the bottle I had.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
DirtBagRob
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I love the Stone Sublimely, its one of my favorite beers. That being said, I recently brewed a batch of AHS's Black Imperial Rye IPA and I like it better. I (as well as a few of my friends) think its better than any commercial example I've had. I know it has the Imperial and Rye part added in and that might not be what you're looking for, but the rye flavors are very subtle and it only came out to like 7.2%, so its not that big. It is very complex and shockingly balanced for having a half pound of high AA hops.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
crlova2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I did a sublimely clone (mainly grist bill) last month but did about 1.5 times the hops and used F.F and Amarillo as flavoring and dry hop. Turned out very good.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not my cup of tea. I believe this style went 'over the top' for me given my Sublimely experience. I might try to fuse a Schwarzbier and hop bomb to get the bitterness in check as an experiment but found the Sublimely to harsh for my Pliny loving pallet to enjoy...

Old 06-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Double Arrogant Bastard is the pinnacle for me.

I mad a TRUE dark beer/hopbomb, and it tasted like rocket fuel. (not any off flavor, it just had too much going on.

Just making an IPA "black" for the novelty is fine, but if you aren't adding chocolate, or black patent, or roasted, why not just get some black food coloring and a solid IIPA recipe?

Old 06-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
crlova2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well on mine I was basically going for a trick of the senses. I used Carafa III de bittered in a small amount and didn't add it till about 5 minutes left in the mash. So, mainly it was just for color. There is a small amount of dark malt flavor but mainly it is what the name describes. A black IPA

Old 06-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by crlova2 View Post
Well on mine I was basically going for a trick of the senses. I used Carafa III de bittered in a small amount and didn't add it till about 5 minutes left in the mash. So, mainly it was just for color. There is a small amount of dark malt flavor but mainly it is what the name describes. A black IPA
Exactly! Why not just drink an IPA with blinders on? Or use black food coloring.

I am OK with green beer for ST patties, or Orange beer when syracuse goes to the final four, but black beer just for the hell of it?

(Maybe on Martin Luther King Day.KIDDING)

Sorry fellas, but making a black Wit with some de-bittered black and calling it a new style is RETARDED.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:22 AM   #10
bdeck02
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Here were the specialty malts I used. It definitely could have used some more beef in the roast department. Possibly a higher lovibond crystal. I don't think I would care for chocolate malts in the mix, however.

1.5 lbs 2-Row Caramel Malt 10L; Briess
0.75 lbs Weyermann Carafa® II;
0.5 lbs Roasted Barley; Pauls Malt

Quick Reply