Young beer tastes better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencecore24

Reaction score
The first beer i brewed tasted and smelled better when it was younger. Was able to get the aromas (which was why i made it in the first place) and those profiles have faded with time. Have you found this with any that you have made?

Yes. Many beers are better consumed young. Particularly IPAs and other hoppy ales with emphasis on aroma additions.

There's a lot of beers that taste good young. Wheat beers are great because they still have that grainy "mash" flavor when they're young. As they age that starts to die down and more of the "funk" flavor starts to come out.

You generally hear people talking more about the virtues of aging beer as opposed to not, but it totally depends on style. Porters get better with age, IPAs lose the aromas that are the hallmark of the style.

keeping hoppy beers cold once they are conditioned helps retain the flavor and aroma longer.

I've done some taste testing of cellar storage vs. serving temp storage of IPA's at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks. Very noticable changes in the warmer stored beer. (and yes, the brewery was awesome enough to send us THEIR stash of bottles from their cold storage so there was little temp deviance to skew the results)

Back