Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > You still buy Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #81
bleme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 39

The shop makes a huge difference. World Market is the worst I have experienced. They must store their beers in a kiln because by the end of summer, everything on their shelf is awful.

I don't know how far east Grocery Outlet goes, but they seem to keep much better temperature control. The only issue with them is that some breweries sell them "seconds" that never should have gone to market in the first place.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #82
BreezyBrew
Fully Fermented.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I haven't been brewing too long but, I definitely buy less commercial beer. I've had probably 97% of the beer that's available here without paying a fortune for it (ex. Cigar City sweet stout aged in Conac barrels for $20 a bomber) ill pay for quality but that's nuts. One of the reasons I got into brewing was to try new beers, and do some cost savings. Paid $11 for a 6 of DFH 60, tonight, and its def been mishandled, not good.

It might wear off, but for right now, really enjoying my own brew. Cheers!

- 99% Perspiration 1% Beer
- "Take your own experience as the gospel" -Denny

Old 10-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #83
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I buy less commercial but I was thirsty for a brown ale. Picked up a six pack of Goose Island Nut Brown Ale. Not bad.

coalcrackerbrewing.blogspot.com
Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

Old 10-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #84
emiller0408
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigscience
I used to only really drink what I brewed unless I was out but my time has gotten so sparse, I don't get to brew that often anymore. My wife would complain about brew days so I started to buy more beer. Now when she freaks out over the money I spent on nice beer I say "well I could have brewed a whole batch for that much money but I haven't brewed in awhile." This technique got me my last brew day. I may need to up the scale and bring home a whole keg and tell her the kegerator doesn't work right unless it's full.
You guys are lucky....my wife bitches at every penny i spend. "What!! You needed gas? You should drive to work less." She hates when I brew even though I explain that it's a fun hobby.

Women....ugh.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #85
EnjoyGoodBeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiller0408

You guys are lucky....my wife bitches at every penny i spend. "What!! You needed gas? You should drive to work less." She hates when I brew even though I explain that it's a fun hobby.

Women....ugh.
tht the saddest story if heard on HBT in a wile.

Just for your sake go out and brew another batch.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:44 AM   #86
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

And buy yourself a kegerator!!!

Old 10-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #87
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2003 Times on 1754 Posts
Likes Given: 1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiller0408 View Post

Women....ugh.
I know,right? They bitch because YOU'RE spending THEIR money that YOU went out & earned. Why do you think we say marriage is $9 down & your paycheck the rest of your life?...I always told her it'll be OUR money when WE take turns EARNING it. 'nuff said

Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #88
Christ872
Recipes 

I have a huge lot (say 8 to 12 cases full) down in my basement. But there are still 2 that I really go out for -- Newcastle Werewolf and SVYTURYS Ekstra...I'd go across state line if need be to get Svyturs

Old 10-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #89
Topher79
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I tend to buy beer on a weekly basis, usually seasonal beers, or something new that I haven't tried yet. Last week I bought (6) bombers of Sweetwater's latest Dank Tank offering....Danktoberfest, and it is awesome. I also visit my local Taco Mac weekly to get something new (and on draught)...I am currently at 650+ different beers tried there, and love that I can watch sports while drinking great craft beer. If i want something really different, I reach in my cellar...some of beers in there go back to 2007.

I think the reason I am drinking more store bought beer than I have brewed myself is because I want my beers to have bottled to be conditioned properly. It's so tempting to see 100+ bottled beers just sitting there waiting to be drank!

I like beer because it's good, I drink beer because I should...

Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #90
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 41 Posts

If nothing else, coming to this forum makes me thankful for several things: my wife enjoys beer as much as I do, we both know how to behave like adults, and she encourages supplemental beer purchases and convinces me that I'm being ridiculous when I think I need to constrict my beer budget.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Quick Reply