You know you're a brewer if...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you have a purpose built brew hut, rather full of brew equipment, and SWMBO is still asking you when you're going to move "all of that stuff" out of the hallway closet.

When you have several pounds of hops in the freezer and think that you need more.

When you are at a tasting and you tell the brewer what hops they use in their beer, same with the malts.

When you look at you furnishings and know there color by SRM.

When you look at the old fish tank and think that it would be great for a spontaneous fermentation experiment.

When your mother asks you what size shirts you want for christmas you blurt out "10 gallon kettle" because you were thinking about that during your whole conversation.

when you have enough empty beer bottles in your car to be arrested for a DUI, even though you are (probably) sober

Man, I worry about that every time I have those in my car! I hate only having two beers or so and then riding home from someones house with a 12 pack of empties b/c I don't want to waste all of those bottles that I brought for people.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm beginning to believe the solution is to just leave them there hidden in the garage or something and picking them up later.

Man, I worry about that every time I have those in my car! I hate only having two beers or so and then riding home from someones house with a 12 pack of empties b/c I don't want to waste all of those bottles that I brought for people.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm beginning to believe the solution is to just leave them there hidden in the garage or something and picking them up later.
I usually just only bring 3-4 brews with me when I take my beer places. It all gets consumed there and I don't mind losing a couple of bottles. If people want to guzzle my homebrew they have to come to my place, where the bottles never leave the premises :)

When you drive your girlfriend out of the sheets because you hotboxed the room with the stankins. Daaaaayaaaaam!!!!!!

When you have police raiding your house and Haz Mat checking the garage.

Your Facebook status is "I need more empty bottles"

.....You don't have a facebook cause you're too busy drinking.

I usually just only bring 3-4 brews with me when I take my beer places. It all gets consumed there and I don't mind losing a couple of bottles. If people want to guzzle my homebrew they have to come to my place, where the bottles never leave the premises :)

Good idea. I have a problem with brewing more than I can personally consume, so I try to get as many people to drink it as possible. Also, don't you brew beer not only because it's AWESOME, but because you also like to enjoy it with your friends and family? Unfortunately, they can't always come to my place, and since I enjoy to drink and typically they do as well, I bring it to them.

I guess I need to tell friends/family to hook me up with some bottles so I can have enough to just leave with them.

After much time playing with fermentations that are weeks old you can now guess the correct FG by the amount of pressure it takes you to apply to the top of the fermenter to get a bubble... We call that 'Hydrometer finger'...

When the SWMBO lets you buy AG propane equipment because she wants the stovetop kitchen smells out of the house.

Lol, let's see... that's 200 gallons per adult per household per year... hmmm... I swear I'm under that mr. officer sir...

That's not a still, it's a chiller, I swear!

;)

:off: Has anyone since the Carter administration ever been prosecuted on that? I don't think there is a cop alive (other than fellow home brewers) even aware of the limit.

what a great smell that is that comes from the brewery stacks! wish i lived close enough that i drove past one daily, not just when i want to :)

complete sidetrack here... used to live in cinci and I would drive 30 min out of my way to avoid the distillery.... bourbon mash..... yech

complete sidetrack here... used to live in cinci and I would drive 30 min out of my way to avoid the distillery.... bourbon mash..... yech

Same here. I didn't bother trying to avoid it. Just powered down I-75 and got off the highway as fast as possible.

Anyone else put "wanted" ads on Craigslist every month for homebrew equipment?

SWMBO and I are watching Iron Chef and the stuff a chicken in a pigs blatter to cook and she exclames...

"Why don't they just cook it in Bud!" :D

Need to bump this back up, came across another one this morning.

On the way to work in the morning, you scratch your face, and you can still smell two row and cascades from last nites brew. Even after a shower.

When you start figuring out the many things that you could add yeast to in order to create a drinkable alcoholic beverage. Tea, soda, juices.

When you have a party with ten kegs on tap, six varieties of bottled beer and a couple of growlers and you made it all :)

When SWMBO knows what a Lambic is and drinks it with you and enjoys it :mug: (just did this last night)

you try to figure out what it would take to be able to use the spectrometer at work in order to find out the exact IBU you have in your beer...still trying

Have the State Police drive by your house really slow checking out the 'mash' and 'still' you have in your driveway.

Happened to me. I was boiling in the driveway getting ready to put the chiller in. They slowed WAY down in front of the house. I waved, they waved, they drove off. I'm guessing they were brewers.

If you pour it cold and let it warm up, sniffing every few minutes as it warms so you can judge how temperature changes the flavor profile. And the waitress looks at you like you're a nut-job!

If you order your beer by ingredients rather than name.

There are many brewpubs around here where that would not only not even get a second look, but you actually CAN order beer by ingredients. I love living here. :D

I was making coffee yesterday morning and I found myself trying to calculate how much water the coffee grounds were going to absorb so I could add enough water to end up with exactly 10 cups.......
I laughed quietly, alone, in the kitchen.

you live in a small apartment have hops growing outside with the permission of the landlord, and a carboy full of imperial stout as a table centerpiece!

You watch football on Sundays and see nothing but mash tuns on the sidelines.

When SWMBO buys you a $100 dollar sweater, you say thanks, but the first one to try it on is the RIS from yesterdays brewathon.

Back