Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Are you embarassed to be in the BMC isle at the store?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
jaynik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
I'm no snob, beer is like children: I have my favorites but I love them all. I get 12 packs of Genny for $5.99......doesn't embarrass me at all to pick a 12 up if I'm looking to knock back several on a hot Saturday afternoon.

OTOH, picking up a tube of Preparation H might fall into that "embarrassing" scenario!
^ what he said. Beer is all good. Don't make it out to be more than it is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Expressing dislike for BMC is about the same as religious arguing. Pointless and getting old.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
BrewDocND
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Went to the beach the other day. Grabbed a couple cans of bud out of the fridge and enjoyed them very much.

Kegged- Scottish Heavy (first kegged batch and I didn't f#&% it up!)
Bottled- Belgian Dubbel (Brewing Classic Styles).
Bottled- French Saison (BCS) Bottled March 17.
Belgian Pale with JP dregs Bottled Feb 3.
Dumped- 1.5 gallons Dubbel on orval/JP dregs colonized by fruit flies :(

Old 07-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I can't remember the last time I bought BMC. It doesn't really appeal to me at all and I'd much rather drink one or two of a beer I really like than pound down several of one I don't.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wouldn't be embarrassed to be in the BMC aisle, but I'd be mortified to have BMC at the checkout...

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

buzzkill Likes This 
Old 07-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have no qualms about picking up a 30 rack of PBR or High Life. What is embarrassing is if someone gets a say in a beer run and requests Smirnoff Ice or something like that. The guys I know that work at the beer shop I frequent always give me a ton of crap when that happens.

Bottled: empty
Kegged: empty

Old 07-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic

+1...I've really been becoming a fan of SNPA in the can, and quite frankly at only 5.6%, it's pretty much a session ale. I also recently had 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon while on vacation, and that also was an amazing, refreshing low ABV ale...*perfect* for just having come off the beach and chilling out in the afternoon after lunch.

The other thing I've liked about cans is that they are so much more portable, and pretty stealthy. I took a couple cans of SNPA to the fireworks this past 4th, and I've drank 21st Amendment at various "public" venues...the fact that they're in a can makes it look like you're just drinking a pop. Couldn't do that with a glass longneck...
Actually I drink my soda from glass longnecks, Henry weinhards root beer or orange cream. Cans are great but not for stealth. I don't have issue being in the bmc aisle because it isn't a stigma here. People will defend PBR to the bitter end. I always tell them it is fine tasting water and they don't have to convince me of its merits. I go with kokanee when I want a light lager.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
KirbyTails
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenry View Post
I have no qualms about picking up a 30 rack of PBR or High Life. What is embarrassing is if someone gets a say in a beer run and requests Smirnoff Ice or something like that. The guys I know that work at the beer shop I frequent always give me a ton of crap when that happens.
Whatever. Smirnoff Green Apple is delicious...though there is definitely a time and a place.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #19
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I tend to not be a beer snob, so no Every beer has it's place, and like you proved, this is BMC's. It's not like you're buying champagne or something

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 07-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #20
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanco View Post
This is an area where craft beer needs to figure it out and capitalize on a relatively untapped market.

The dry session beer craft beer in a can. And I mean dry and thirst quenching as in finishing at 1 Plato, or 1.004 or thereabout. You can pound BMC all day because it's dry, bone dry and although craft beer is figuring out canning and lower alcohol beers, but for some reason, most craft beer offerings tend to finish much heavier than that. My.02 anyway.
I try very hard to be a non-snobby-yet-knowledgeable-beer-geek. We have the great fortune here in Minnesota to have some really great sessionable canned beers.

like:

I'm also a fan of the local light and dark mass production style Grainbelt and Grainbelt Nordeast. Both cheap, local, packed with corn and very very tasty when you want a refreshing, low alcohol beer:

but I have been preaching exactly the same thing to all my brewery-working friends - craft / local brewers need to make sessionable beers. Low alcohol, highly drinkable beers. There's no reason that craft beers have to all be 6% ABV and higher. That's like saying no one can drive a car with less than 250 HP.

Quick Reply