Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Are you embarassed to be in the BMC isle at the store?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
dgez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Default Are you embarassed to be in the BMC isle at the store?

Here's the scenario...I'm heading to an outdoor concert tomorrow. Knowing I'll be drinking mass quantities in the GA heat, ice cold fizzy yellow adjunct packed lagers is my safest bet. So there I was in the BMC isle deciding/looking at the various packaging options, bottles vs cans vs size, etc ....I found myself looking over my shoulder every minute wondering if anyone I knew was looking at me...like I was standing there naked and vulnerable. Has anyone else felt like this or is it just me?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

No. The aisle I find to be most embarrassing is the greeting cards.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

This is an area where craft beer needs to figure it out and capitalize on a relatively untapped market.

The dry session beer craft beer in a can. And I mean dry and thirst quenching as in finishing at 1 Plato, or 1.004 or thereabout. You can pound BMC all day because it's dry, bone dry and although craft beer is figuring out canning and lower alcohol beers, but for some reason, most craft beer offerings tend to finish much heavier than that. My.02 anyway.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2521 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 5683

I'm not embarrassed to be in the BMC isle. But that's only because if I am, it's because I'm on my way to the craft beer isles. Seriously, though there's no shame in making a responsible choice and drinking a safe beer. Despite my avatar, I feel that there's an exception to every rule and even BMC has its place.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 07-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
shelly_belly
Easy Wind
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 17

My wife called and asked if I could pick her up some maxi pads so I'm going to be embarrased in that isle. When I do BMC it's Modelo Especial.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'm no snob, beer is like children: I have my favorites but I love them all. I get 12 packs of Genny for $5.99......doesn't embarrass me at all to pick a 12 up if I'm looking to knock back several on a hot Saturday afternoon.

OTOH, picking up a tube of Preparation H might fall into that "embarrassing" scenario!

nurture my pig

Old 07-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 569 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 156

I don't remember, I haven't bought any beer except a couple of times in a restaurant (and no BMC) for over 6 months.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanco View Post
This is an area where craft beer needs to figure it out and capitalize on a relatively untapped market.

The dry session beer craft beer in a can. And I mean dry and thirst quenching as in finishing at 1 Plato, or 1.004 or thereabout. You can pound BMC all day because it's dry, bone dry and although craft beer is figuring out canning and lower alcohol beers, but for some reason, most craft beer offerings tend to finish much heavier than that. My.02 anyway.
+1...I've really been becoming a fan of SNPA in the can, and quite frankly at only 5.6%, it's pretty much a session ale. I also recently had 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon while on vacation, and that also was an amazing, refreshing low ABV ale...*perfect* for just having come off the beach and chilling out in the afternoon after lunch.

The other thing I've liked about cans is that they are so much more portable, and pretty stealthy. I took a couple cans of SNPA to the fireworks this past 4th, and I've drank 21st Amendment at various "public" venues...the fact that they're in a can makes it look like you're just drinking a pop. Couldn't do that with a glass longneck...
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 07-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Doesn't bother me at all, when it's hot outside (It hit 109 actual temp here today), I love a super cold Busch Light. Can't help it, grew up drinking it, not ashamed.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Eliterunner1
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Caldera Brewing down in Southern Oregon makes some pretty good brews (their ipa is my favorite by far) and they lay claim to being the first micro brewery in Oregon to can their beer! It's kind of cool because their designs don't look even remotely beer-like as well, more like soda as mentioned by biochemedic. I feel like some breweries are moving in the canning direction. I guess it might be kind of hard to find on the east coast seeing as how it's not even distributed in Northeast Oregon :/. I for one dig the cans.

Quick Reply