Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Are you a certified beer judge?
View Poll Results: You a certified beer judge?
Yup 5 4.81%
Nope, but have some training 6 5.77%
Nope 71 68.27%
Nope, but Ralph is... 22 21.15%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #21
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone
if the competition is being held at my house, then you bet your ass I am
lol. yeah, me to!

i'll probably get certified eventually...right now i'm concentrating on brewing award winning beers, then i'll concentrate on entering them in competitions, THEN i'll go for being a judge

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #22
FatMonsters
Recipes 

I would like to at some point.

As said on here, it would definitely expose you to each style and learn more about them. Especially if you hit beer festivals throughout the country at different seasons...mmmmmmmm, so many beers to try!

Old 01-25-2008, 05:22 PM   #23
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Rightie-o. Nobody is forcing anyone to enter comps. ...
I agree. This argument comes up here once every couple of months and I don't get the "beer judges/beer competitions are worthless" camp. Why bother yourself with them, then. I honestly believe these people fall into three categories. They:

a) Aren't competitive by nature and don't understand why anyone would want to enter a beer competition.
b) Had a bad experience entering a competition, got little or not very useful feedback and now have the impression all competitions are like that.
c) Are just plain afraid of the possibility of any negative criticism of their beer.

I'm not a judge, but might decide to be someday. I've met some BJCP judges and they were guys I liked and respected. I've entered a handfull of competitions and got great feedback. I never took it personally. On the contrary, I believe what I learned helped me become a little better at brewing.

It's easy for my friends to tell me they like my beer - it's free beer afterall! I liked getting a blind third party's opinion. Bottom line is, if you enjoy your beer, then it's all good.

Just my two centavos.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #25
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
TxLaw is a BJCP judge, I believe.
I was just about to give props to Tex.

I've gotten a much better overall impression of beer judges after having gotten to know Tex a little bit on here. Here's someone who clearly knows his sh*t and can communicate it. I wouldn't hesitate in the least to have him review my beer and give me feedback on it, even painful.

With that said, I've heard enough horror stories about judges who didn't know what they were talking about, both here and elsewhere, where there's still some hesitancy in terms of submitting to a competition.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #26
Beerlord
Recipes 

I was a judge, but let it lapse becasue i didn't have time to attend any events. And quite honestly if yo dont' want your beer judged, don't enter competitions. And if yo think judge don't know what they are talking about, take the 10 written essay question test.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #27
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Thanks for the props, Bird. I really do appreciate it.

Yep, I'm a BJCP judge, "Certified" rank. I'm teaching my club's study class this year, hoping to take the test again, and hoping even more to get promoted to National. Sorry I missed this post until now!

If y'all will allow me a moment to comment on competition judges, there are good ones and bad ones out there. In just about every homebrew competition out there, the judges are volunteers, there on their own time. Nearly all of them genuinely want to help and do a good job, and nearly all of those accomplish that goal. Most who fail to reach those goals do so innocently. Then, of course, you have your stinkers out there who get off on telling someone how crappy their beer is. I think, if they came around here, they might be called EACs.

Also, not every judge is BJCP because, often, there just aren't enough to go around. Having organized one competition and participated in many others, I know how hard it is to get judges. In fact, it's usually the toughest thing to do. Many judges find it a chore, and many others cop that "someone will take care of it" attitude. I find it a great opportunity to sample a whole lot of beer in a short time while also getting the opportunity to think about them and discuss them in depth with someone else. It's often a bonus that I get to discuss those beers with someone who knows their stuff better than I do, so it's one heck of a learning experience. I actually enjoy judging, but it's also no news to many that I'm a raving lunatic.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 09-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #28
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Those of you who are beer judges, are there any brewshops that you work with? I would love it if my LHBS had a certified judge doing consulting out of their shop. I don’t think I’m the only one who would pay a couple of bucks to be able to drop off a beer to have it evaluated and get a score sheet on it. Are there places already doing this? I just entered my first competition, but it was less about the contest and more about picking out flaws that I may have trouble identifying.

I’m digging up an old thread here, but this is the best that my search on beer judging came up with. I think the "brew what you like and screw the judges" camp is shortsighted. By defining styles and judging modern beers trying to meet the criteria, the BJCP is what maintains the history of brewing. On the home brew level, it gives us a chance to experiment and see if we can meet these standards. Even styles that may not be our favorite are fun to attempt to duplicate. Without an experience judge this would be pointless. Without training it is all but impossible for the average homebrewer to see some of the subtle differences between some of the styles. I have a lot of respect for anyone who has taken the time and effort to be a judge.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:51 PM   #29
Weizenheimer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well I do have a certificate that says "Official Coors Beer Taster" does that count? I got it while touring the brewery in Golden (which we did frequently.) My buddy and I got pulled aside and got to rate some experimental brews. Some were actually very good.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #30
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Those of you who are beer judges, are there any brewshops that you work with? I would love it if my LHBS had a certified judge doing consulting out of their shop. I don’t think I’m the only one who would pay a couple of bucks to be able to drop off a beer to have it evaluated and get a score sheet on it. Are there places already doing this? I just entered my first competition, but it was less about the contest and more about picking out flaws that I may have trouble identifying.

The yearly BJPC study course & exam is coming up this January sponsored by our LHBS

Keystone Homebrew Supply

I am considering doing it this year.

Quick Reply