Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Are you the Black Sheep of your neighborhood?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #81
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2148 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 2110

Let's see, self-employed, work from home mostly, 30 yrs younger than everyone, don't have a 'We still believe in Merry Christmas' sign out by the road, acre plus garden this year, and several hog killings....nah, we fit in great. The worst part is probably how little I cut the grass. It's the number one pastime of all the retiree neighbors. Acres and acres of grass on a tractor. And they think we're strange. Funny thing is that my wife's family has been within 10 miles of here for over 200 years, so most of the people who think we're freaks are outsiders in my book.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Euphist Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #82
Barnesie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I live in the burbs. Serious burbage, rows of houses all about 2000-2500 square feet all in a development built in the late 60's. We're all sitting on about 1/4 acre each, so it's about as average as you can get.

Sure I make beer, which is unusual...but my neighbor two doors down restored a B-25 engine in his garage last year and this year he's restoring two 1930's diesel tractors, so occasionally we walk outside saturday to see him joyriding a gigantic tractor at 5 miles per hour up and down our completely average suburban street.

So no, I'm not the black sheep... but everyone in our neighborhood likes the black sheep so it wouldn't be bad anyway.

Bottles: none
Keg: Junkyard IPA, Alagash Belgian Tripel clone

Beware: Everyone is an expert on the internet.
People Like This 
Old 12-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #83
Lushife
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnesie
I live in the burbs. Serious burbage, rows of houses all about 2000-2500 square feet all in a development built in the late 60's. We're all sitting on about 1/4 acre each, so it's about as average as you can get.

Sure I make beer, which is unusual...but my neighbor two doors down restored a B-25 engine in his garage last year and this year he's restoring two 1930's diesel tractors, so occasionally we walk outside saturday to see him joyriding a gigantic tractor at 5 miles per hour up and down our completely average suburban street.

So no, I'm not the black sheep... but everyone in our neighborhood likes the black sheep so it wouldn't be bad anyway.
Sounds like a fun neighborhood.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #84
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulud View Post
weird that you're the black sheep. maybe those men should have gotten better wives?

my wife loves that i homebrew (she did not drink beer when i met her)

i trained her to like beer (haha) with every batch i make i have her try some now she likes craft beer.

also my neighbors that i have met enjoy my beer. my wife and i just moved into our house in july so i havent met too many people
I wish my wife loved homebrew. Whenever I ask her opinion, she will reluctantly taste it and say "it tastes like beer" Although supportive, I think she'd push back at the other wives if she could tell them how good it is.

It's mostly wives of the older men in the area. One neighbor loves Guinness and he said he once tried to put a kegerator in his basement and his wife was flat out against it. It may be the old mentality of "what will the neighbors say". So, I think when the guys see how cool home brewing is, the quality of the results and how my wife is ok with my 4 tap fridge, the men love it and the wives don't.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #85
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
The worst part is probably how little I cut the grass. It's the number one pastime of all the retiree neighbors.
This is totally our situation. We're in our mid-thirties and both of our neighbors are nearing/past retirement age. Our next door neighbor has a landscaping crew at her house once a week, and our backyard neighbor did a $10,000 backyard remodel about eight years ago and cut down every tree in his backyeard and had new sod put in about two years ago. He can frequently be seen with his backpack leafblower blowing leaves IN THE DARK! I think I cut my grass three times this past summer because I would rather be doing things like hiking, brewing beer, going to shows and playing disc golf.

We had a number of trees cut several months ago and figured it would be easy to find people that would want it for firewood so we didn't have the tree crew haul it off. Turns out over half of it was sweetgum which nobody likes to burn, so we're stuck with all this yard trash that is going to be either extremely laborious or expensive to remove.

Life is too fun and too short to spend endless hours cutting grass, raking/blowing leaves and trimming hedges. When we bought this house, our first house, we wanted something with a nice yard and trees, unlike the newer developments you see with tiny yards and no trees. Our next house will have exactly that.

I've bought a propane burner and larger pot with the intention of taking my brewing outside, but being in bass-ackwards Alabama where homebrewing is STILL illegal I'm still questioning the wisdom of moving outdoors.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #86
Whippy
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 108

One neighbor is the Mayor and he thinks it is great that I brew! He's a cool guy and is all about letting folks do what they want (within limits, of course) without judgement. Another neighbor is a craft beer guy who trades me beers for my homebrew pretty regular, so no problem from him either! The others surrounding my are all friends except for two who stay to themselves, so don't know how they feel but would wager one of the two would be totally cool with it. I've got it made, pretty much

Two weeks to ferment, two more in the kegs
but in just one night it was drained to the dregs

Old 12-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #87
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

One of my neighbors like to mess with me on brew days and threaten to call the feds (it's technically illegal to brew here), but he's a good guy and I usually give him a few. Another neighbor will occasionally come over for a brew day. But we do have a few families around us who are super Christians with an agenda, so I usually don't advertise when I'm brewing. I brew in the garage, so the big door is down and the smaller door is open.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #88
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
One night, about 20 of us were in my driveway, working on motorcycles, burning a couch, and having a dog fight. I made this killer tripel we were devouring. It wasn't very late, maybe only 2 or 3 am on a Monday. After the burnout contest, I decided we should do a steinbrew with some of the granite rocks around the neighbors koi pond.

Well apparently the teetotler neighbors didn't like my home brew because they gave me a dirty look the next day when I got up at 4 pm. Their kid said my kid can't come to the birthday party so he's crying about that.

Some people just have a lot of misperceptions about homebrew.
I think I see the problem.You should really have your smoke shows during daylight hours so everyone can fully enjoy the visual as well as the aroma and audio.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #89
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Every other person in my neighborhood is 2 - 4 times the age of my wife and I. We're the "young in's" in the neighborhood for sure. I've only brewed out on the driveway/in the garage the last 4 weekends in a row, so they haven't had much exposure to it yet. Mainly I just get people walking by looking, but not seeming overly interested.

And lawn mowing is definitely a favored past-time for about 2/3rds of the neighborhood. I have one neighbor that mows every 3 days regardless of if it needs it, if its raining, or if the grass has stopped growing (they mowed this past weekend, when it was 35F out).

I'm assuming they'll stop once there's actually snow on the ground? Maybe?

Kegged: Galaxy/Vienna SMaSH Pale Ale
Kegged: Prohibition Lager
Kegged: Ricks Red Ale
Kegged: Wheat
Bottled: LH Milk Stout Clone
Primary 1: Biermunchers Centennial Blonde
On Deck: Milk Stout, SNPA clone, maybe a pale ale so I can use my homegrown hops to dry hop.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #90
sr20steve
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel View Post
Your situation sounds similar to mine. I really don't worry about it at all. I love this hobby too much and the people who approve outweigh the few that don't.

I find it's typically wine drinkers who don't like or understand beer. Not to mention, I have 3 kids, so I think that plays a role. I think they think I brew to get hammered and lay around all day, which is sooo far from the truth. Ironically, one of my prime motivations for brewing is that it is a social ice breaker.

If they only knew how seriously I take brewing, I think it would be ok. I don't drink until I've pitched the yeast, have a detailed step by step process and take alot of pride in what I make. It's very similar to my bbq passion It's passions like these that make life worth living. As my friend TKNice says, "to be happy, you have to have something to look forward to".
I have also said before that brewing is allot like BBQ in that very small attentions to detail make one big difference in quality. And I think people who are into both are very close in personality. BBQ was my gateway drug, haha.

As far as my neighborhood, I don't think anyone even notices or could care less maybe its a CA thing.

Quick Reply