The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Are you the Black Sheep of your neighborhood?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #41
UtahNate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I live in Utah in a predominantly Mormon neighborhood... Need I say more?

In all seriousness though, no one seems to care. I don't know many of my neighbors, but offering beer to teetotalers isn't likely going to help with that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #42
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 958 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

I live in an area of town that is unofficially called "Little Mexico". I can't even talk to most of my neighbors.

WhiteEagle1 Likes This 
Old 12-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #43
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 936 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Direct next door neighbor will not speak a word to me. He will acnowledge me saying hello, as I do every time I see him. I am nothing if not neighborly, but he will just look up and then go back to what he is doing. Maybe he is just angry that a 32 year old kid moved in next door, or just doesnt like the fact that for the past several years the house has been inhabited by guys in their 20s before I moved in and some of them are still renting from me. Maybe he just doesn't like me. He sure as heck will talk with my parents when they stop by, but will not say a word to me.

As for Black Sheeping because of brewing, I have only done one outdoors brew and that from my rear facing garage so no one would know about it. I wonder how my neighbors would feel about it if they knew. I guess we will see more this spring when people leave their homes to venture outside. I would love to get my neighbors involved, or at least have inquisitive neighbors stop by whilst I am brewing.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #44
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I've only ever had one neighbor come over while I was brewing. It was a nice day and I was doing it on the back patio as opposed to my normal garage brew. He and his wife were out gardening and when I added the first hops, he came over to take a look. "MMMM, love that smell, when we first got married my wife and I lived down the street from the Budweiser Brewery. I loved it when the added the hops."

Other than that, I've had zero interest from anyone. I suppose I've always been a Black sheep in a way, but not because of my brewing. When my wife and I first moved into the neighborhood 15 years ago, we were really young compared to everyone else. Most of the people on the Block, we were closer to their kids' ages than to the parents. I'm always very helpful and friendly around the neighborhood, but I think there was just that disconnect because of age.

As a reference, I've actually become a little more social with another of our neighbors because his grand kids are the same age as my kids. So, when they are in town, the kids play together a lot.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #45
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 670 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Ive only done one batch at the new place so i don't know how the neighbors will react, but Northern Brewer's Milwaukee store is on the main drag through our little suburb, so I bet most of the neighbors have seen the store and know what it's about, and know that homebrewing exists.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #46
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
I suppose I've always been a Black sheep in a way, but not because of my brewing. When my wife and I first moved into the neighborhood 15 years ago, we were really young compared to everyone else. Most of the people on the Block, we were closer to their kids' ages than to the parents. I'm always very helpful and friendly around the neighborhood, but I think there was just that disconnect because of age.
I think you summed up my scenario. I think there is a disconnect. Most of my neighbors are older and at a different stage in their lives. Unfortunately, they're current stage seems to be the "dull stage".

I'm no spring chicken anymore but I refuse to succumb to the forces of daily routine and the notion that now that I'm a middle aged responsible adult (old), I should cut the lawn every Saturday, clean the garage every spring like clockwork or get the Christmas lights up no later than end of Thanksgiving weekend, like the rest of the neighborhood. Screw that, I'm brewing.

Starter??? I don't even know her!
LTownLiquorPig Likes This 
Old 12-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #47
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 73

I have to wheel my rig out into the driveway to brew. For the most part, my neighborhood is very friendly. I have yet to have a complaint, and have actually met other homebrewers in the neighborhood just from having it out there. I tend to kick off the smoker as well when i brew, so that helps. Can end up in an impromptu social gathering.

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #48
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Never had any complaints or dirty looks about brewing, although I just do 5gal extract boils so here is no elaborate/chemistry set looking apparatus.

That said, I do have one neighbor at the far end of the next block that doesn't have much appreciation when I crank up just short of 9,000 watts of music through some old JBL pro audio speakers and subs I have in the garage.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 12-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #49
Waynep005
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

We have a facebook page for the homebrewers in my neighborhood.

"Stupid Should Hurt"

Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #50
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've gotten nothing- positive or negative- from our neighbors. I brew in the driveway but usually have my truck parked between me and the street. I need the tailgate as part of my brewstand. Like many of you seem to be, we're in a different 'age bracket' than our neighbors. Kyle

Quick Reply