New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Are you the Black Sheep of your neighborhood?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #31
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Didn't have access to the sink last brew and flooded my apartment parking lot cooling my wort last brew. Pretty sure I made it on a few people's naughty list haha

One neighbor dropped into my garage and hung out for a bit after saying "as long as you're not cooking meth!"

I coaxed a few others over by promising them some of the batch.

For the most part I try to be considerate to my neighbors and their families. I find it goes both ways

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #32
neophilus
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

I have lived in my house for two years and literally have never met one of my next door neighbors. The others are polite but reserved. Not sure if it's just a new England thing. I wonder what they think when I brew but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter either way.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #33
Brad2287
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

My neighbors are great and don't think anything of it. Infact a lot of them either homebrew or enjoy craft beer. I am guessing a lot of this is area driven. I would think that those of us that live in major craft brew areas have neighbors that realize what we are doing or ask and think nothing of it.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #34
rattler72
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Here's my first post to this forum. But I'm here because I felt like the black sheep for not brewing! My wife's friends husbands all seem to be brewing as well as my neighbour. Anyways just started my first batch on Thursday, looking forward to the process.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #35
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 790 Times on 538 Posts
Likes Given: 389

I don't have any neighbors, I'm a good mile out into the woods. But, I'm sure that if I did have neighbors... they would either not approve or happily join in the fun. I guess those are the 2 choices!

Old 12-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #36
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I live on a cul-de-sac and do my brewing in the driveway. Neighbors come by all the time to ask questions. We had a homebrew and chili potluck a few weeks back. I've got one neighbor on his 3rd batch and a few others with kits that I will be helping them with soon. Expanding the craft!

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #37
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well the best thing i to probably keep the doors open to anyone interested. I think in the spring, I'll move from the garage to driveway. Maybe then people passing by will feel less intimidated and more inclined to ask questions.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #38
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 187 Posts

I was staring to feel a little black sheepish for a while in my cul-de-sac. I live across the street from a cop I figured all my neighbor figured if he doesn't care they don't either well that all changes a few months ago. But first a little back ground I live in a military town and I'm a vet but don't look the part as you can see from my pic I have a long beard and use to have long hair and when my garage is open metal or punk is blaring from the stereo. Most of the people in my area are at least 10 years older than me and me cooking anything in the garage raised suspicion. I few months ago I was building a fermentation chamber in the garage and the cops wife ( who is also a vet and also use to be a cop ) asked me what I was building I told her what it was and she thought it was neat. She build stuff for her flea market and asked if I would help her build some furniture. I went over a few nights later and built some stuff with her and drank hb the whole time. Now the cop and his wife are really cool with me and my wife and the neighbors have also lightnened up with what I'm doing and they are nice to me. But as others said if they didn't like me before or wanted to act sh!tty I really don't care.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #39
andvari7
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 35 Posts

I have an irregular work schedule, and I'm often off on Fridays. I brew during the day, when others are at work, so I have never had a single complaint from a neighbor. There is one neighbor, with whom I have never spoken, that I suspect is also a homebrewer - I saw him rinsing out a five-gallon bucket, with a familiar hole drilled into the side. He might be aware of what I'm doing, but I cannot confirm this.

I have had complaints from the other occupants of my house, who basically sent me to the backyard, due to the mess. Well, to be fair, I can't really do five gallons on my kitchen stove without a massive headache.

But, to answer the question: I feel like my wool is getting a little ebon, but homebrewing has nothing to do with it.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #40
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andvari7 View Post
I have an irregular work schedule, and I'm often off on Fridays. I brew during the day, when others are at work, so I have never had a single complaint from a neighbor. There is one neighbor, with whom I have never spoken, that I suspect is also a homebrewer - I saw him rinsing out a five-gallon bucket, with a familiar hole drilled into the side. He might be aware of what I'm doing, but I cannot confirm this.

I have had complaints from the other occupants of my house, who basically sent me to the backyard, due to the mess. Well, to be fair, I can't really do five gallons on my kitchen stove without a massive headache.

But, to answer the question: I feel like my wool is getting a little ebon, but homebrewing has nothing to do with it.
I wonder how they would react if you brewed during the evening or weekends.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Quick Reply