Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Are you the Black Sheep of your neighborhood?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #151
ong
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't own a car; I bike everywhere, sometimes on a huge dorky cargo bike. I have raised vegetable beds in the front yard. I can and garden and brew, and sit on the front porch playing ukulele. And I get along famously with all my neighbors. The couple next door has lived there for 60+ years and we exchange cookies at Christmas. No black sheepery required.

Oregonians: trade canned goods, homebrew, fresh produce, and more at chowswap.org!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #152
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon
I wish my neighbors homebrewed too. Maybe I can get them doing it. A lot of retirees and such though so the early 30's whippersnapper may not be that effective. An to top it off I am wishing my garage pointed towards the street rather that opens out of the back of my house at the bottom of a hill.
Man, I hear people all the time wishing they had people to brew with and I feel exactly the opposite. I value my solitude like gold, I have a house full of kids and I work 50 hours a week. If one of my neighbors heard the grain mill running and came over to BS and hang out I would be pissed. The times I've had people help brew I've drunk way too much, got distracted and missed hop additions etc. Brew days are my quiet time. I'll have people over to drink the beer.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #153
MyakkaRiver
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have yet to brew in my new neighborhood. I used to live in the country and now my wife and I live in suburbia. Haven't really had time to brew since before the move. I'm hoping to post up the brew equipment in the garage with the door open and brew with the off chance of finding a new brew buddy... or more than likely get deemed as the meth cooker of the neighborhood, ha ha.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:25 AM   #154
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianskate View Post
Even in my urban neighborhood, people give me the stink-eye when I say I brew beer. It's really not that strange. Come on now... maybe it's because I look 18 to them.
I had that problem. Then I grew a beard.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #155
40watt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I live in the country, but the neighbors are pretty close like in town. I think the loud music and the fact that I walk out my back door and shoot firearms get more attention than brewing.

My closest neighbors are liberal types from Michigan. They seem to be terrified of me.

I noticed a while back, I've lived in several of the largest cities in the US, I used to hear small arms fire and would find it disconcerting (somebody is getting shot). Now I live in the country and hear constant semi-auto rifle fire and find it comforting (rednecks staying sharp).

Old 01-21-2013, 03:42 AM   #156
dryboroughbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not really, the neighborhood I live in is a mix of work-a-holics and aging hippies, no one much cares how anyone else does anything. I just took my lights down this weekend and I'm still ahead of about 40% of the neighborhood. I have, however been rolled up on by the cops, so maybe that earns me a special mention. (I was picking up lawn debris at 2 am wearing a headlamp) (cops were very courteous and left me to my branch collection.)

Old 01-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #157
Euphist

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

We recently moved into the house that my grandfather built. People around here tend to do things like gardening and canning and such, so making your own beer seems totally normal to them.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #158
Xakk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My neighbors just get excited when I start pulling the equipment out in the driveway. They all want to know when it'll be ready to drink. We'll generally have a neighborhood cookout a couple of times a year, and they know to plan it three or four weeks in advance so I have time to get a couple of kegs ready to go.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #159
dpatrickv
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Me and the wif moved in this past November into our first house and I have brewed a number of times so far in my garage. I'm not entirely sure how my neighbors feel about it yet, though I do know we are about half the age of most of them.

Maybe once the warm weather hits again a few neighbors will poke their head in and talk.

Kegged
Summer Session #1 - Summer Session #2 - Hakuna Matata Strawberry Saison - Dank You Very Much IIPA - NZ Saison
Primary/Secondary
Sidelined Short Bus
On Deck

Old 01-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #160
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryboroughbrewing View Post
I have, however been rolled up on by the cops, so maybe that earns me a special mention. (I was picking up lawn debris at 2 am wearing a headlamp)
That happened to me once when I was digging new holes in the neighborhood graveyard at 2 am. The cops know most of my neighbors and offered to help

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Quick Reply