Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Are you a Beer Snob?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
Mermaid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

hipsters. LOL

See, I love beer. I particuarly love beer that tastes like something other than sour fizzy water.

However, will I drink Stella or Heineken at a club, restaurant, or party where my only other choice is Bud or Miller Light? Yeah. Why? I dunno, I guess I like that skunky metallic aftertaste.

I've also been known to drink a Corona or two or three on a hot summer day while enjoying some tasty Mexican food.

Cheap beer does have it's place, and I'm not such a raging beotch beer snob to not accept that.

Heck, I feel I've made a positive impact on my ex-bf - who used to only drink BL. I've actually convinced him to try craft beer and now he buys Dead Guy Ale, or some random IPA that catches his attention. My work here is done

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
BrewMU
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I guess I must be a beer snob - I don't remember the last beer I drank out of a can - and I know I'm a douchebag, but it was a year and a half in Germany, not a month in Europe. As someone already noted, twelve packs are pretty rare, but I haven't douched-up to the 8-15 dollar 22 ouncers yet, and I don't drink much from Belgium, so maybe there is hope.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMU View Post
I guess I must be a beer snob - I don't remember the last beer I drank out of a can
Then you're really missing out on a ton of craft beers that are now in cans.

Cans are revolutionizing the craft beer industry.

Where the heck have you been the last couple years? Fat Tire's been in cans IIRC three years.

These ain't your daddy's bud any more.

What happend was the minimum order for cans was dropped to a level that made it reasonable for microbreweries to start canning. Now the minimum order is IIRC 150,000 cans when before it used to be substanitally higher.

This is the company that has made it available to the smaller level craft brewer....

WELCOME TO CASK.COM

We've been talking about it on here for several years.

There's quite a lot of discussions on canned craft brews on here. Including one I started a couple weeks back when Sierra nevada announced they were going to.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/like...highlight=cans

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/craf...highlight=cans

It's awesome. There's a lot of places that don't allow glass, so we're often limited in our beer choices then...not so much now.

Heck they don't even affect the taste of beer like they did in the 70's....even BMC's been using lined cans for maybe 20 years....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Cigar city is moving to can their stuff.

I'm hoping it's a smooth transition and means finding more and better beer on this side of the state. Not going to miss their bottles, they where severely impractical to remove the label. Some of the bottles even Goo gone didn't work on the adhesive.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 11-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
SIXFOOTER
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

LOL, well I didn't expect this much of a response. I think I am a little bit of a Snob, but I don't fit any of those catagories. I sit next to the taps if the other stools are taken, I probably mispronounce the names as bad as the next guy, was in europe once many years ago, dimmly remember it and I even knew the pic was not europe. I also happen to think I make better beer than most of the stuff you can buy, but aspire to get close to Stone and the big Belgians.
I have over the last couple years since I started brewing discovered a Big Wide World of taste that I didn't know was there, before that my fav was Guiness, still is to be honest.
Now if I could get that good...

==================================
Todays Brew - 5 gallons of Pumpkin Ale
In Fining; White Chocolate Port, Barrollo, Muscadine
Bottled; Octoberfest Lager, SalmonFest Lager, Big Head Red, Boca Bitch Gluetin Free, Belgian Wit, Dark Knight Sweet Stout, American Pale, Boca Brown Ale

Old 11-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #16
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I love beer. I consider myself a beer geek. I like beer, to brew beer, to talk beer, beer history, etch.

I no longer care who brews what or who drinks what. I think beer is beer, and this is the best time to drink/brew beer. There's plenty for everyone...those who like light lagers and those who like ales...we have plenty to choose from. Hell even in my chain grocery store, there's now more craft beer on the shelves than BMCs.....

I don't like rice adjuncted light lagers, or rice adjuncted lagers in general, not because they're BMC, or made by the "evil empire" and I'm "better" than those folks that drink it, but because they contain rice. So I don't like bud, bud light or sapporo for instance. But if other folks do, it's their choice. If that's all that's available, I'll drink wine or mixed drinks.

But I know why I don't like them, not 'cause it's the beersnob/homebrewer thing to do....And I don't look down on the folks who choose to drink them.

A snob looks down on or judges what other folks drink. Or avoid certain beers, not because simply they don't like the taste, but for other reasons.

Even after all the years brewing and especially drinking craft and imported beers since 1986, the best beer I ever had was ice cold Negra Modelo Especial bought for probably a dime a bottle in 2001, in Ensenada Mexico, and drank on a Sandbar in mexico with fish tacos where the fish was caught and fried within a half hour after is was pulled out of the bay. With a simple wedge of lime for both.

Like what you like, drink what you want, and don't give a **** what other's think about it. Every beer has it's place and time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #17
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

Then you're really missing out on a ton of craft beers that are now in cans.
Beat me to it. My local brewpub has been canning their beer since they opened 12 years ago, and another of my local craft brewers, Boonville Brewing Co, just started canning all their beers. Got some in my fridge, it tastes great. Aluminum is the most widely recycled material so it makes sense to can from an ecological perspective as well.
forumrunner_20111119_102820.jpg  

Old 11-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #18
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Yeah, there's a local brewery that sells 4 packs of pint-cants and they use the same plastic tops now instead of the old get-caught-on-wildlife style.

I have absolutely no problem with cans... but sometimes I feel like my brain tries to make a bias because it is in a can. For example, before I got over my own personal can-stigma, Fat Tire in a can had an odd taste that I just couldn't describe... but now it just tastes like Fat Tire. Stupid brain.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 11-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 824

The writer is a bit of an idiot, really, even though I think it's supposed to be slightly amusing.

But I'm glad Stella Artois opened his/her eyes to "good" beer.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #20
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The writer is a bit of an idiot, really, even though I think it's supposed to be slightly amusing.

But I'm glad Stella Artois opened his/her eyes to "good" beer.
Anything the English refer to as "wife beater" is world class.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Quick Reply