New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > are you an alcoholic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
cola
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default are you an alcoholic?

are you an alcoholic?

i am kind of scared of getting deeper into this so called addicting hobby cause i might be drinking all the time...

convince me to stay otherwise...

are you an alcoholic

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 06:23 AM   #2
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

When I was younger, I took a few "are you an alcoholic?" tests. I felt that they were absurd. I took one that basically stated anybody who ever drinks before noon is an alcoholic. It was a little check box test.. nowhere for you to provide justification... such as the fact that I was working third shift at the time and getting off at 10am. I mean, do they really think I'd be less of an alcoholic if I start drinking at 10pm right before work?

Another test deemed me an alcoholic because I had more than 5 drinks in a sitting... without considering that I was drinking for 5-6 hours with friends and never got really drunk.

And so on. Bottom line, the tests I've seen have been ridiculously biased, but that isn't to say that there couldn't be a valid test somewhere. On the other hand, the bottom line is, if you think you may have a problem.. then maybe you do.

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 02-05-2008 at 06:26 AM.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
beala
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Being an alcoholic is much more than just drinking a lot. I remember back in high school the DARE program tried to convince my class that if you drink everyday you're an alcoholic. The implication of this was they basically accused everyone's parents of being an alcoholic because many of the student's parents enjoyed a glass of wine or beer with dinner. That didn't go over well.

I think the more rigorous definition of an alcoholic would be "a dependency on alcohol that significantly disrupts your life." So for example, if you're addicted, and it's causing you to end up in jail every week on DUI charges, then you're an alcoholic. But if instead you drink everyday, but can do so responsibly, then you're by no means an alcoholic. In fact, you may even be addicted to alcohol, but if it doesn't disrupt your life, I don't see how that could be a problem.

Last edited by beala; 02-05-2008 at 06:40 AM.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
sflcowboy78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am a drunk, alcoholics go to meetings. Now I would admit I do have a drinking problem, two hands and only one mouth.

On a more serious note some people are predispositioned to becoming an alcoholic, it is said to be genetic. If you have a history of it in your family then you might become on but it is not certian. The question is do you know when to stop.

"The easiest way to spot a wanker in a pub is to look around and find who's drinking a Corona with a slice of lime in the neck."
-Warwick Franks

Bottled - I drank it all...
Primary #1 - Apfelwein 5 gal
Primary #2 - Pomegranat Apfelwein 5 gal
Primary #3 -
Planning - Irish Red, Stout???, more Apfelwein

I am a little behind but 10 gallons to date

Old 02-05-2008, 07:08 AM   #6
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by beala
But if instead you drink everyday, but can do so responsibly, then you're by no means an alcoholic. In fact, you may even be addicted to alcohol, but if it doesn't disrupt your life, I don't see how that could be a problem.
Very good point there. It's one thing to be addicted. Hey, it's not a badge of honor, but how many folks are addicted to cigarettes or coffee or whatever? You want to live your life that way, I don't think people have ANY justification for telling you you're wrong. HOWEVER, if it starts to impact your life... if you need to bring a beer to coach your kid's little league game or need to sneak a little sip before church, then you've got a problem. If parents start pointing at you as the dude who's always had a few too many, then maybe you need to reevaluate your life.

I won't tell anyone how they ought to live their life, but when it reaches a point that it starts to affect others around you, then there's a situation that needs to be rectified.

I'm a manager at work. There's a girl who always smokes in the bathroom, pretty much knowing she won't get caught because the male managers aren't going in after her. To top it off, nobody has actually seen her smoking in there, but plenty of girls have complained, shortly after she's returned to her desk, that the bathroom wreaks of smoke. We've almost got her... correlating every time she takes a break to the bathroom wreaking.. to the point that it can't possibly be anyone else. See? That there is a problem. This dumb biotch is about to lose her job over cigarettes. She has a problem that is just as bad as alcoholism. She's letting her life be controlled by her need for a fix.. to the point that she can't do her job. Most people can be responsible about it...

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 02-05-2008 at 07:11 AM.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
shafferpilot

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

simple test:

If I told you that if you drink one more beer, I'm going to take your kids, your wife, your money, your house, and your dog away, and you'll never see them again..... would you be able to not drink it? If the honest answer is yes, you're not an alcoholic.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 02-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
cola
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot
simple test:

If I told you that if you drink one more beer, I'm going to take your kids, your wife, your money, your house, and your dog away, and you'll never see them again..... would you be able to not drink it? If the honest answer is yes, you're not an alcoholic.
so maybe i'll just drink 3/4 of a beer for my next beer then

Old 02-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

"are you an alcoholic? "

Only on the weekend.

I work midnight mon-fri and i'm not going to drink before work and i go to bed after work.

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/

Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sure we all talk about this addicting hobby, but I think you'd be hard pressed to be serious about 'needing some beer to tide me over or I'll get the shakes'. There's been many a few times where I've had to say to myself "Oh man I can't wait to brew again.... but WTF am I going to do with all this beer I have now?? I can't possibly drink it all myself!" A lot of the addiction (heh) is the process of making it, and enjoying the fruits of our labors and letting, sometimes forcing, others to enjoy it as well.

It's really easy to make your own booze if you're a true alcoholic. Sugar, water and bread yeast. That's all it takes.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Quick Reply